Hydrostar electric snake

Users who are viewing this thread

rebarman

Reaction score
I'm a diy and I have to deal with occasional light clogs in the main line. I know they're light because you can get through them without even putting a tip on the snake. I think it's paper towel, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't want to hire anyone (again) for this simple job, so I got the hydrostar from harbor freight. 1/2"x50' cable. Problem is that my clog is closer to 75'. it's slotted cable. Can I attach a 25' length of cable to mine, or possibly change to 100' cable, maybe smaller diameter in case there isn't enough room and because it might be easier on the motor. I'm not sure what my options are. I just know I need to go somewhere between 75 and 100 feet to get to the clog and it's simle to break through it. I hope it never happens again, but 3 times in 1 month is too many!

Thx for any suggestions that you can offer!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We do not know anything about "your cable" or whether the hydrostar can be extended with another cable. But, I do know that their cable is ONLY useful on very minor stoppages. 3 time in one month, would indicate that you are clearing the SYMPTOMS of the stoppage, NOT the actual stoppage, which would be comensurate with you using a cable without an end on it. You probably need something a lot stronger than the hydrostar to actually open the drain, otherwise you WILL be using it every few weeks. At least until it gets so bad that nothing except a larger snake will clear it.

rebarman

Reaction score
thx for your reply hj - I suspect that the line may be ok, just that someone is putting something down that shouldn't go down the drain. I don't think it's roots or grease. When I had it snaked the first time, we did a video on the line all the way to the city and it looked great. So I think this lower powered tool may be ok for me. Time will tell, but it doesn't take very long to do the whole job, so I'm willing to try. worst case, I go rent the big snake for $40. I don't mind the $40 so much as having to go get it cross town.

Anyway, if I do try and just swap out the snake with a longer one, can you give me some insight into choosing a snake with or without a core? Why would you choose one or the other? And if I really am just pushing a paper towel through, is there a problem with choosing say a 1/4" snake?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a pressure washer? You might read about the ClogHog. Note that the water needs to go somewhere, so it is not so good when you are jetting from inside and the pipe is too clogged to pass the water.

I have no experience with it, but the "clog hog" videos on YouTube look interesting.

rebarman

Reaction score
Do you have a pressure washer? You might read about the ClogHog. Note that the water needs to go somewhere, so it is not so good when you are jetting from inside and the pipe is too clogged to pass the water.

I have no experience with it, but the "clog hog" videos on YouTube look interesting.
yes, I did see that and I thought it might b worth a shot - I forgot about it. thx for the reminder!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would have to get a snake with the proper attachment to your drum, and I do not know how it fastens. A 1/4" snake is almost worthless for anything other than a short, 15' or so, sink or tub drain. Any longer or larger and all it does is curl up in the drain. You could insert 50' of cable and it might only go 15' down the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks