hydronic radiant floor heat - cold toes, cooked food???

Users who are viewing this thread

Quonset guy

Reaction score
I am having a townhouse constructed.
They are installing hydronic radiant floor heat.
They did not put tubes under the kitchen cabinets because they said the cabinets would overheat and spoil can goods. That sounded believable.
But then I discoved that they had several tubes under my future pantry cabinet. When I asked them to move it, they said to leave it alone - that it wouldn't be a problem. The floor is now poured. Am I screwed???

Also in the bathroom they only put 4 loops in a 5' x 8' room. none of the tubes come close to the tub or the vanity (which is wall mounted). Will I have cold toes???

shag_fu

Reaction score
I dont think that was the reason they didnt put them under the cabinets. Why waste the material on unused space. I guess in the bathroom it depends on your version of close. If they have 4 loops and are 2 feet away from anything, I would scratch my head as well. But in a space that small four loops will be enough that it wont be that noticeable.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
none of the tubes come close to the tub or the vanity (which is wall mounted). Will I have cold toes???

Depending upon a variety of factors, possibly so. I have electric heating wire under the ceramic tile in my bathroom floor, and parts of my floor are definitely cooler where the wire is about three inches away from the walls, tub, vanity and toilet. Your tubes should be deeper in your floor, and your floor has a thicker, radiant mass. Nevertheless, my guess is that you will still be able to locate your tubes simply by slowly sliding your palm across the floor and feeling for the warmer "stripes".

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have electric heating wire under the ceramic tile in my bathroom floor, and parts of my floor are definitely cooler where the wire is about three inches away from the walls, tub, vanity and toilet.

Good thing its not near the toilet. It keeps the wax ring from melting.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Good thing its not near the toilet. It keeps the wax ring from melting.

Yes, I have heard that. I kept the wire 3" outside the overall base of the toilet, and that leaves it somewhere around 6" from the seal, and with the toilet also helping as a heat sink. However, the thermostat's floor limit keeps the floor under 90* anyway, and I believe it would take more than that to actually melt the wax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks