Hydrogen Sulfide Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

drate

Reaction score
Dear All,

I'm a newcomer on this forum: Hello to Everyone!

Im an end-user located in Poland, and I'm looking forward for a recommendation of a system to remove completely the hydrogen sulfide (odour) from my well water. Currently I'm using the following setup, however due to local regional limitations, I cant properly measure the level of H2S in the raw water.

Introduction:
1.) Well is 120 feet deep (37 meters), pump gets water at 11 GPM max (42 litres / min).
2.) First is a 300 liters pressure tank galvanized with aeration of water by compressor (it is actually very noisy and little annoying)
3.) Katalox Light media 2x Cufts inside of a 12x52 tank, with Clack WS1 CI control valve (w/ injector)
4. ) Activated Carbon inside of 10x44 tank, with Logix Pentair / Autotroll 263/740F valve.
5. ) UV Lamp (Sterilight S5Q-PA/2 )

Raw Water characteristics:
- All parameters are OK, except very bad smell (rotten eggs), and slightly higher ammonium levels 1,1 mg / liter.
- pH 8.1, Hardness = 60, Iron/ Manganese = levels are OK,

Problems:
- Water still have a bad smell (cold & hot), seems like H2s is not completely removed using above water treatment system.

Do you know if:
- The aeration w/ compressor is really required to deal with H2S ? (loud noise every time the pressure tank is refilled). Perhaps other substitute technique is more effective ? (or does aeration is realy helping here for H2S removal)?
- Im using H202 to "clean" the KL media, I inject aprox 1 lliter (1 US quart) of 3% H202 (3% it's the only available here in stores). I inject it during KL media regeneration, every 3 days. The routine :
- Backwash 10min, I notice the media expands up about 12 or 13 cm (5 inches) - do you think it's ok ?
- Brine down 2 minutes = aprox 1 US Quarter of H202 is down brined,
- 5 min of fast down rinse.​
- Maybe the H202 doesnt have enough contact time with KL media as it is only 1 minute and then it gets rinsed too fast?
- Do you think replacing Coconut Shell High Activated Carbon with Catalytic Activated Carbon could help with the bad smell ?
- If I decide for constant H202 feed, does anybody knows what could be the ratio H202 (3%) / Water . According my calculations, the rate 1 : 2000 is ok and safe for plumbing system? (0,05% ratio of 3% hydrogen peroxide / water)

Thanks for your support.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks