Hydro Pneumatic Tank, Low Water Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Eliz1

Reaction score
After suffering through a weeks worth of showers with dismal water pressure I have finally investigated some and need guidance. When no water is running the pressure gauge on the tank reads 45 ( I seem to remember it normally being at 60psi). Turn on a faucet, the pressure drops to 40 and the pump turns on. Pressure rises back to 60, the pump stops and the pressures starts dropping to 40 and the cycle begins again. FYI this is a hydro pneumatic tank and is approximately 6 yrs old. I read the helpful sticky on pressure tanks but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I go and tinker with things. Any advice on what the problem might be or how to fix it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
From what you say it sounds like the pressure switch is set to turn on at 40 and off at 60. The pressure would only stay at 60 if you stop using water before the pump turns off. If you draw water after the pump turned off, the pressure will drop. If you use enough water for it to drop to 40, the pump starts up and so the cycles go.

So far you have not described anything that would suggest "dismal water pressure", only normal operation.

Eliz1

Reaction score
Hmmm. Normally I have great water pressure and it has definitely decressed so I wonder what is causing it. We are on a slab so I'm not sure how to check for leaks in the pipes.

Eliz1

Reaction score
Well that is good news! No leaks! I will keep poking around. I remembered that the other shower had this problem once and it involved a clog in the shower valve. When I have a moment I will see if I can take it apart, investigate, and report back. Thanks for your help.

bcpumpguy

Reaction score
Well that is good news! No leaks! I will keep poking around. I remembered that the other shower had this problem once and it involved a clog in the shower valve. When I have a moment I will see if I can take it apart, investigate, and report back. Thanks for your help.

do you have any filter housings anywhere?

Eliz1

Reaction score
Hi bcpumpguy,

We do have a very simple filter attached to catch silt and I have taken it off and cleaned it. I might be over stating it when I say dismal water pressure. It is just less than normal. I haven't taken apart the shower valve yet as I haven't had time. But I suspect this isn't my problem since the lack of water was more pronounced in the shower that had that issue. I am really puzzled by the pressure gauge on the tank being at 45 psi since I am almost positive that it normally idled at 60 psi.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks