Humiliation Sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Roughed in a Delta shower valve with a diverter a couple of weeks ago. Cartridges did not come with the fixtures, so in consideration of the homeowners, I cut the hot supply to the valve and capped them with Sharkbites. This was to prevent cold water from feeding through the mixer and depriving the customers of a decent shower while the remodel progressed.

Came back for the set-out this week, got everything installed, and couldn't get a consistent flow from the shower or the hand-held leg from the diverter. Took everything apart, tried a new cartridge, etc.

Went down to the basement with the contractor, looking for clues, and he declared "it's capped". It didn't register in my brain since all I could see was a Sharkbite coupling up there. Everything else was sweated.

As it turned out, two Sharkbite caps, butted head to head, looks exactly like a coupling.

I replaced the caps with a coupling and everything started working.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Trump the Plumber

Reaction score
Nobody knew plumbing could be so complicated. To be great, Delta makes a part that plugs one of the lines on the Delta rough. RP46079 test plug is what I use. I say this all the time. Believe me.

delta-rp46079.jpg

don-the-plumber-03.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody knew plumbing could be so complicated. To be great, Delta makes a part that plugs one of the lines on the Delta rough. RP46079 test plug is what I use. I say this all the time. Believe me.
Thanks for reminding me Mr President. I think I have one of those in the bottom of a bucket somewhere, but it wasn't where I needed it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You "say this all the time"? I think YOU have delusions of grandeur. Anyway, how often does someone install a Delta valve and NOT install the plug that comes with it, if they are not installing the cartridge? I ONLY have to "say this" occasionally.

JRC3

Reaction score
Anyway, how often does someone install a Delta valve and NOT install the plug that comes with it, if they are not installing the cartridge?
Exactly once. The first time you have to go back that evening to correct the "we don't have hot water" problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Exactly once. The first time you have to go back that evening to correct the "we don't have hot water" problem.

I will go with once too. That call late at night about no hot water in the other shower. The water mixes across the valve in the home wihout the plug.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got one now. Replaced a Moen with a Delta yesterday. Going to keep the plug just in case. Might hang it on the rear view mirror with my dreamcatcher. Incidentally, soldering in the Delta to the existing pipes leaves it 1.5 inches too deep in the wall. Had plenty of flex, fortunately.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks