HPS Security Light

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve33

Reaction score
I have an HPS security light on a 20 amp breaker in the main panel under the meter base. From this panel wiring runs to another panel in my home(about 15 feet) where the AC breaker is located. Each time my aAC kicks on the security light turns off for a few seconds and then comes back on. I have read that the AC load can cause a short drop in voltage and cause the light to go out. I have replaced the bulb so I know that is not the issue. I am pretty sure it is the AC load and voltage drop that is causing the problem. My question is what can I do to correct the problem? Even though it is a momentary outage it does it all during the night each time the AC comes on.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing to check is that all of the connections are tight. Depending on the panel and the age and use, the circuit breaker could also be slightly loose and may need to be replaced. Or, there could be some corrosion on the bus.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Google "wiring diagram for high pressure sodium ballast".

There are four components; lamp, capacitor, ignitor (cap) & ballast. Over time with hundreds of on/off cycles along with temperature extremes, the capacitor starts to age and go out of tolerance. Changing the lamp is obvious the first thing to do, it's easy and low cost. I would change the capacitor next. If you get a number off the existing one you can buy them online, they're a little tough to find locally unless you have a electrical supplier near by that stocks these components and sell to non contractors.

Steve33

Reaction score
First thing to check is that all of the connections are tight. Depending on the panel and the age and use, the circuit breaker could also be slightly loose and may need to be replaced. Or, there could be some corrosion on the bus.
Thanks---I inspected the panel and everything is tight and no corrosion. The panel is 5 years old.

Steve33

Reaction score
Google "wiring diagram for high pressure sodium ballast".

There are four components; lamp, capacitor, ignitor (cap) & ballast. Over time with hundreds of on/off cycles along with temperature extremes, the capacitor starts to age and go out of tolerance. Changing the lamp is obvious the first thing to do, it's easy and low cost. I would change the capacitor next. If you get a number off the existing one you can buy them online, they're a little tough to find locally unless you have a electrical supplier near by that stocks these components and sell to non contractors.
Thanks I did change the lamp. I will try the capacitor next.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have an HPS security light on a 20 amp breaker in the main panel under the meter base. From this panel wiring runs to another panel in my home(about 15 feet) where the AC breaker is located. Each time my aAC kicks on the security light turns off for a few seconds and then comes back on

Is the AC unit and the Light connected to the same breaker ?

Did it always do this ?

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks