How to wire emergency well pump turn off?

Users who are viewing this thread

RickK

Reaction score
I have a finished basement and bought a Floodstop water leak detector with an electrically controlled valve. For various reasons I would rather use this controller for interrupting the power to my well pump in case of a water leak in the house. When the flood stop controller is activated, it sends 6vdc to the electric valve. I have a Square D pressure switch and a Franklin 2823008110 pump controller. I guess I could just wire in a 6vdc relay into one of the legs going to or from the pressure switch to cut the power. If that is true, should I be concerned about the amperage running through the relay or any other potential problems? What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Assuming 240 volts, I would use a double pole relay and break both legs. Just make sure the relay contacts are rated for the current drawn by the pump.

I would also look for a relay that will stay open (flip-flop) after the 6 VDC is removed.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Never saw a 6 volt contactor coil, at least one that had a high amp rating on the contacts. Maybe in an old Army jeep..... You can get a double acting relay and shut off the pump with one set of contacts, and close another set for an alarm. Typically 24 volts, and then line voltage AC coils.... so you may need to get a water sensor that you can add your own transformer to @ 24 volts.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=11-2983-E&catname=electric

Not so many contactors are normally closed, as you need. The one above is the dual acting you could use just the NC terminals on, but the amp rating is low for a pump, and the coil is 220V

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
why would you prefer to shut off the pump and allow the storage tank to dump ALL its water in the event of a rupture? Use the "shut off" valve from the Flodstop at the tank to shut off the water line TO THE HOUSE.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"At the tank" as opposed to "at the water heater", which is where they are usually installed. And a reasonable thinker would install it "after" the tank if they wanted to keep the water in the tank and not on the floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Again, we have to assume we are dealing with a sentient human being who can think logically. If not, he should not be doing this project himself in the first place.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
While cutting power to the pump and closing the strategically placed solenoid valve, might as well cut the power to the water heater should the tank somehow drain.

I'm thinking a belt and braces approach.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Again, we have to assume we are dealing with a sentient human being who can think logically. If not, he should not be doing this project himself in the first place.

Maybe he is not sentient, since he seems to have disappeared anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks