How to turn water off to tub only

Users who are viewing this thread

Queen50

Reaction score
We need to rip out a one-piece fiberglass tub/surround unit and redo the bathroom, but can't do it all at once. I figure we will have to shut the water to the house off to demo the tub, since we can't locate any shutoff valves, but would like to be able to turn it on after that until we're ready for the new fixtures etc to be installed. Can I cap the pipes or something?

We have two other bathrooms that we need to keep functional. Plus the washer is in that same bath; I'd like be able to use it.

It's possible to access the plumbing by removing the drywall in the adjoining room; but we had it opened 4 or 5 years ago and I don't recall seeing any shut-off valves. Do you think we should take a look anyway?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT would be almost unheard of for there to be shutoff valves there, especially if there is not access to them. You CAN install shut off valve or use "removable" caps to shut them off temporarily.

Reactions: SHR

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water off to the home, have caps ready to go.
Do you have galvanzied or copper in the wall? It makes a difference in how you will cap it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The easier way to do this is with Sharkbite caps. When you cut the pipe, you must ensure that the end of the pipe is both straight and is smooth with no burrs, as the seal in the cap is made by rubber O-rings, and if there's a sharp edge, it can slice them and cause it to leak. They can be easily removed when the time comes to reconnect with whatever you need.

Another possibility is to use a compression shutoff valve(s). All that needs is two wrenches, one to hold the valve from twisting, and a second one to tighten the compression nut to make the seal. If you do not overtighten the compression nut, you can pull those off later after loosening the nut. Otherwise, you can either cut them off, or use a ferrule puller to get it all off.

Queen50

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We plan to hire a plumber to hook things back up.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to have the plumber install shutoff valves at that time? I don't mind having an access panel in the other room.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sharkbite caps will push on, and they can be removed later by the plumber.
Some valves can be ordered with stops, or you could have the plumber locate some in the access.
Most of the time, since we don't know there are shutoffs, we just turn the water off at the meter or main shutoff. Doing a repair on a modern valve is not that hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks