How to turn on sprinkler system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sean J

Reaction score
I moved into home with a sprinkler system and I am having trouble operating this system as this is my first home with a sprinkler system. I tried to select 'All Stations ON' from the control unit but nothing happened so I assume that it must be turned off somewhere. I have taken pictures of the backflow preventer and the in-ground box, so I am hoping that someone can instruct me on how to turn on my system. Currently the in-ground valves are turned to the off position, even when I turned it to the 'On' position the sprinkler system would not turn on. This is my first time working with a sprinkler system so any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Do you have water going to the valves ? There should be a water cut off near the main feed.

The controller may not be able to provide enough power for 'All Stations ON'

Good Luck.

Sean J

Reaction score
Do you have water going to the valves ? There should be a water cut off near the main feed.

The controller may not be able to provide enough power for 'All Stations ON'

Good Luck.

Hi, the main water shut off valve is located in my garage but I do not see any other valve going to the sprinkler system. Where else do they typically install it? I checked all over my lawn but all I see is the 'in ground' valve box.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hi, the main water shut off valve is located in my garage but I do not see any other valve going to the sprinkler system. Where else do they typically install it? I checked all over my lawn but all I see is the 'in ground' valve box.

Normally they put them in a location where a Lawn Maintenance crew can turn them off to care for the lawn.

Near a outdoor water hose connection maybe.

Can you post a picture of the 'in ground' valve box ?

Flapper

Reaction score
Set the controller to turn on a station, and then go to the valves to see if they are operating. If the station's valve's solenoid is vibrating (feel it) and/or making a noise, then you know the electricals are working and you have a water issue. If not then you probably have an electrical issue.

If the valves have purge ports, then open one of them to see if the system has water pressure or not.

You said that they didn't work when you turned the manual override to 'ON' so I think you have no water there.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Some of the orbit and possibly others have a fuse to protect the controller. When it blows, the solenoids don't work , but on mine, it appears like everything is normal. Just no water. Are you able to turn on a sprinkler valve manually?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks