How to test used convertible shallow well Shur-Dri pump before installing?

Users who are viewing this thread

abeljda

Reaction score
Hello, I bought a shur-dri well pump used and wonder if it even works. It is an SD-520, and I just want to know if the pump is good or bad. I plug it in and it hums but I have no idea if its good or bad, how do you know without hooking it all the way up? Any way to simply test that it is good? Thanks.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You can test it somewhat using a 5 gal bucket.

Make sure that you secure it so it don't become a hazarded.

Fill the bucket with water, put a suction line in it, and see how long it takes to empty the bucket.

Don't run it dry, make sure it is pumping water.

Be careful playing with the electricity.

Enjoy your project.

DonL

Last edited:

abeljda

Reaction score
Hi Don, thanks for the reply. I tried that but this has 2 inlets for the conversion to a deep well, I hooked the 1 inch pipe and the 1 1/4 inch up and turned it on but it did nothing. Maybe I needed to prime it? The guy that had it before me has a pressure gaugage hooked up to it and a garden hose shut off valve. I tried pouring water in that shut off valve but no luck. Any other suguestions? I actually have the whole thing piped and sitting on the well now, foot valve and the injector but priming it seems to be my problem? I plug it in and it just buzzes....

DonL

Reaction score
Maybe the motor is locked up, or the impeller has trash in it.

Can you rotate the motor shaft ?

abeljda

Reaction score
Hello, that would mean taking the pump apart I believe? No I havent done that, so take the pump apart and try to spin the motor? Would i take the impeller housing off and try to spin it? Thanks Don.

DonL

Reaction score
Are you running it on 120, or 240 Volts ?

Can you tell if the motor is rotating ?

You should be able to tell if it is turning, Look thru the motor cooling slots and see if the armature it is spinning.

If you cant tell if it is turning, You should not take it apart.

Take it back to TCS and have them help you.

You do need to prime it.

Last edited:

abeljda

Reaction score
Hi Don, turned out I did not get it primed correctly/enough. its now working. The presurre switch must be bad or the small tube off the switch plugged, because it wont stop running so I am going to take that off/apart and inspect it. Thanks for you help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks