How to tell what kind of back to back toilet drain connection I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

TwoTrips

Reaction score
Home (sometimes)handyman looking to install a pair of Toto EcoDrakes in a "back to back" setting. My house was built in the mid 1980's. It's a single story, slab foundation in Southern CA.
The documentation from Toto mentions that a Double Sanitary Tee/Sanitary Cross is not going to work and that it needs to be a Double Combination Wye.

Forgive my ignorance (I'm a homeowner, not a plumber), but I'm wondering how to tell what kind of drain connection I have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuff

Reaction score
Interesting question of how to see through concrete. Just guessing since no one else has commented yet. A sewer cam? Otherwise lift both toilets and then try to shine a light from one to the other. Or put an auger down one and see if it comes out the other. Neither should work if you have Wye.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
An inspection camera will tell you HOW the pipe enters the vertical line. Or take both toilets up and shove a "hose" into one and see if it comes up in the other opening. OR, even putting a flashlight in one pipe and see if it shines into the other one. I would guess that there is only a small chance you have the 'right" fitting because builders usually want to use the least expensive options whenever possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks