How to solder a "T" in copper pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a 3 peice surface mount faucet in my new bathtub. The install requires soldering a "T" fitting between the hot and cold sides to connect to the center spout.

I have never done any soldering. I have read up on the basics but I am wondering about a "T" fitting. Is seems when you solder one joint and then move to the second joint, the heat will loosen the first joint, and so on.

Can anyone give me any tips?

Which torch is the best for a DIY'er?

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clean inside the tee on both ends that will be soldered. Clean the pipe ends as well. Flux both tee and pipes and assemble the joint. Solder both joints in the same operation. You heat the tee, not the pipes and when one side is hot enough to cause the solder to flow, the other side will also be hot enough so a quick wipe of the solder around both side is all it will take. Most homeowners use a propane torch although Mapp gas is hotter and faster, it also costs more money. May not be worth the added cost for the average homeowner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks