How to shim wobbly toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

tmy23

Reaction score
Greetings. Installing new Kohler toilet in a new bathroom with mosiac marble tile floor. Well my tile work must not be precise, because after snugging the toilet down, I noticed is has a slight wobble on what must be an uneven floor. As it's porcelain on marble, the rattle is "solid/loud", anyway, I was wondering what I can do to shim it? Can remove the toilet, put a bead of silicon under the footprint of the toilet and reinstall? Also do I need to replace the (brand new as it turns out) wax ring if I lift the toilet off to shim it? Can I shim it in place?I'm a little leary of wooden shims, are there rubber or plastic shims I can wedge underneath so I don't have to lift it? the gap is very slight, maybe 1/16-1/8, but enough to move it. thanks!!

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-to-the-floor-in-the-front.41025/#post-293217

Figure out where the shims will go. Lift the toilet. Put a new wax ring. With the shims in place, set down the toilet.

If you used a resilient waxless seal instead of wax, you could just stick the shims in. But wax should only be compressed and not lifted ,even by the amount of a shim, without replacing the wax.

toilet-shims-terrylove-01.jpg

A rubber shim that has been trimmed off. You can see just a little bit under the bowl.

toilet-shim-2.jpg

How I used to do it with door shims. I like the small rubber toilet shims better now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are plastic shims available (even at HD). Also check on line.

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If your installing a toilet over new tile work (or have the toilet removed already) what I read here, and worked very well for me -

set the toilet in place without any wax (or waxless sealing ring) then slip the shims under the toilet in various places wherever the will slip in. You may want to put a level across the bowl to help get it right. Use the "composite shims" like the ones sold for carpentry work.

Then tape the part of the shim that is sticking out (use painters tape) so it doesn't move, and then you remove the toilet.

You can now mark the position of the shim on the floor that would be under the toilet and then cut the shim to size and put it back in the same spot (or you can score the shim with a razor knife and snap off the excess after the toilet is mounted).

Then install your wax ring, and set the toilet on the shims. Tighten it down. You can use the tip of a screw driver to tap the shims in just a little bit more, so when you run the caulk around the edge of the shim is hidden.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks