how to restart pump after power outage

Users who are viewing this thread

kingston

Reaction score
Guys,
Power went out, wife ran water until system depressurized. Two hours later the power is one but no water.
Submerged pump, Amtrol tank, square D pressure switch, no reset lever. No control box.
Circuit breaker OK. Switch getting power. Gauge at zero. I lifted the pressure plate the flipped the switch manually and nothing happened. The pump doesn't seem to be running.
Any ideas before a house full of women and children arrive for the weekend?

R

Rancher

kingston said:
Circuit breaker OK. Switch getting power. I lifted the pressure plate the flipped the switch manually and nothing happened. The pump doesn't seem to be running.
What is a pressure plate? Are the pressure switch's contacts closed, is there voltage on the pumps side of the switch, measure at the terminal lugs. Was the power out due to an electrical storm, i.e. possible lightning strike?

Rancher

kingston

Reaction score
Pleasure plate is probably the wrong word. Whatever is it that lifts up and opens and closes the contacts. I assumed that's what the lever on the models with the lever does. I haven't tested for power, I can just hear it humming when I turn the breaker on and off. Power outage was line down from an accident in the area. No lightning.
So to answer your question, I'm not certain that there is power on the pump side. Are those lugs in the Franklin box next to the square D?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a voltmeter to measure the voltage on both wires, between them and from each to ground. Measure on both the line and load side of the pressure switch.

You need to push down on the pressure switch (toward the pressure port) to turn it on and up (away from the pressure port) to turn it off.

kingston

Reaction score
The switch volt tested fine. But the wires on the Franklin unit, going to the pump, are dead. Is there some kind of shut off when the pressure drops?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
kingston said:
The switch volt tested fine. But the wires on the Franklin unit, going to the pump, are dead. Is there some kind of shut off when the pressure drops?

There may be a reset button somewhere on the Franklin unit. It could have been damaged by lightning.

R

Rancher

kingston said:
But the wires on the Franklin unit, going to the pump, are dead.
Wait... you said there was no control box! What kind of Franklin unit is this, we probably can talk you thru this.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks