how to restart pump after power outage

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by kingston, Jun 2, 2007.

1. kingston

kingston New Member

Guys,
    Power went out, wife ran water until system depressurized. Two hours later the power is one but no water.
    Submerged pump, Amtrol tank, square D pressure switch, no reset lever. No control box.
    Circuit breaker OK. Switch getting power. Gauge at zero. I lifted the pressure plate the flipped the switch manually and nothing happened. The pump doesn't seem to be running.
    Any ideas before a house full of women and children arrive for the weekend?
  2. Rancher

Rancher Guest

What is a pressure plate? Are the pressure switch's contacts closed, is there voltage on the pumps side of the switch, measure at the terminal lugs. Was the power out due to an electrical storm, i.e. possible lightning strike?

Rancher
  3. kingston

kingston New Member

Pleasure plate is probably the wrong word. Whatever is it that lifts up and opens and closes the contacts. I assumed that's what the lever on the models with the lever does. I haven't tested for power, I can just hear it humming when I turn the breaker on and off. Power outage was line down from an accident in the area. No lightning.
    So to answer your question, I'm not certain that there is power on the pump side. Are those lugs in the Franklin box next to the square D?
  4. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

You need a voltmeter to measure the voltage on both wires, between them and from each to ground. Measure on both the line and load side of the pressure switch.

You need to push down on the pressure switch (toward the pressure port) to turn it on and up (away from the pressure port) to turn it off.
  5. kingston

kingston New Member

Thanks, Bob. Testing the wires now.
  6. kingston

kingston New Member

The switch volt tested fine. But the wires on the Franklin unit, going to the pump, are dead. Is there some kind of shut off when the pressure drops?
  7. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

There may be a reset button somewhere on the Franklin unit. It could have been damaged by lightning.
  8. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Wait... you said there was no control box! What kind of Franklin unit is this, we probably can talk you thru this.

Rancher