How to replace inline sillcock? Need suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevemac00

Reaction score
I have a 3/4" copper hot and cold shutoff valve to the upstairs plumbing. Both are completely stuck open from lack of use. When I tried to turn off the hot, forcing it broke the valve stem internally so now turning it does nothing.

How does one replace this inline? I don't even think I could fit a sharkbite valve on it because the the street elbow being so short.

Is it practical to remove the valve with that nut under the handle and replace that or will the valve seat be corroded beyond use?

Here's the valve and thanks for any ideas.

Sillcock.jpg

FMcCracken

Reaction score
You're going to need to totally drain the system, regardless - even to do the limited repair you're thinking. So if you're in, go all in and replace the valve complete. It'll be a sure thing, 100% repair and take less time, with no part compatibility and availability issues.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A ball valve is less likely to freeze up over time than a valve stem shutoff like you have. If you do not have some play in the pipes, often it's easier to cut out a section rather than trying to remove the pipe from the valve and just replace it. That may allow you to move it slightly to where it would fit better. You'd tend to use repair couplings, especially if the ends of the pipe are anchored if you can't spread the pipes apart to insert the new devices and fittings. You can buy them with compression fittings rather than solder, but solder is less expensive. For a compression or slip on valve like a Sharkbite, the pipe must be clean and burr free (preferably virgin, not already covered in solder) to make a good seal.

Stevemac00

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the comprehensive response. Here's a better photo. There's no play because it's tee-d into the main run just a few inches to the right.

I think I could get a sharkbite slip ball valve on going vertical but I doubt I could bend 3/4" PEX to match up on the right with a sharkbite coupling. So rather than spin my wheels I decided to call in the calvary. They said it would be more than two weeks which is why I wanted to do it myself but it's just too tight with two street 45° elbows and a 90.

Cold Stop-1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks