How to repair 4" drain pipe with no movement in pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

JSLayton

Reaction score
I need to move a toilet to a different location and to do this, I need to cut out a section of 4" pipe that has a fitting in it and replace it with just straight pipe. But there isn't any flex in the pipe at all to be able to use two standard couplings. Would you recommend using a standard coupling and one of the flexible rubber coupling or should I attempt to use a repair coupling and slide it on before the glue dries?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Reach4

Reaction score
If I understand, what you do will probably require 2 banded couplings and a replacement piece of pipe to span the gap.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Yeah, like Reach said cut out a the bad section then use banded clamps to attach a new section of pipe (slide the clamps up onto the pipe sections, then insert a new section of pipe, then slide the couplers down to cover the cuts). No glue. Be sure to use "banded" couplers as this type prevents the pipe sections from shifting.

Picture borrowed from another forum member.
mission_bandseal.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The magic to using those is to loosen the metal band enough so you can slide it off onto the remaining pipe, you can then slide the rubber part on, and fold back the half that needs to go over the new pipe you're going to insert. Once you get the pipe into position, you unfold the rubber onto it, then slide the metal part back over it and tighten.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks