How to remove waste a pipe Flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

ballymon

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to replace my toilet, but couldn't get the new one level. I ended up tearing up the floor. I removed the two layers of vinyl tile and left the ceramic tile in place because it was attached to a motar bed. Much of the ceramic tile around the waste pipe flange is missing. I need to remove this flange so I can fill in that area and then put down new ceramic tile. Lastly I'll put on a new flange. The existing one is attached to a white PVC pipe. The flange appears to be cemented to the pipe as it hasn't budged. How can I remove this waste pipe flange?
Thanks,
Valerie

Attachments

• IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 300

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but maybe not easy. Does the flange fit around the pipe or inside of it? Your picture blocks that with the rag. They usually go on the outside, so to take it off, you'd normally end up literally cutting the pipe somewhere, and installing a new piece. Do you have access from below? If so, cut the pipe off, and put a new one in up through the floor and install a new flange when the new floor is finished.

PVC is not really glued, but solvent welded. WHen you apply the "glue", it actually melts the plastic so when you push the pieces together, they fuse into one piece - properly done, it is very difficult to break that joint.

ballymon

Reaction score
Two More Photos & more questions

Thanks for your advice. I posted two more photos from underneath.
I'm such a novice so I have to ask more questions. What should I use to cut the pipe? What is the name of the solvent I should use when I attach new pipes?

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 253

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It will be easy to resolve!

Cut the pvc above the elbow, leave enough height to put in a coupling.

To make connections, you need two bottles - one is a primer, and the second is the solvent. You can buy both prepackaged in small cans. The cans have an applicator attached to the cap so when you unscrew it, you are ready to go.

The instructions are on the cans.

You have an alternative which makes it easier to measure - use a no-hub connector to attach the cut part together with the new stuff. It is a neoprene sleeve with metal reinforcement and hose clamps.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks