How to remove TOTO Ultramax flapper. THU096

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Watersprite, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Watersprite

Watersprite New Member

My one-piece Toto Ultramax (CST 853S) needs a new flapper. I have done this many times before on other toilets and it is an easy task. HOWEVER, on this one, the pink flapper is connected to an L-shaped piece of plastic but there is NO WAY TO GET IT OFF. The flapper connector is attached the plastic L-piece without a break. In other words, it is solid plastic. How do I get it off to put in a new flapper? (And...WHAT was Toto thinking???)

Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
  2. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

The pink flapper is made of a rubber-like compound. Just unhook the female part of the flapper from the male hook on the flush valve by pulling it across the base of the T and then up the hook and off. This video involves a flapper smaller than the one on your Toto, but the process of removal is the same. A few seconds in you can see how to take the old one off. On the video, they remove the flapper at about 33 seconds into the video...

[video=youtube;YDGEpNqwCzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGEpNqwCzk[/video]
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Takes me a few seconds. They clip on and clip off. :)
  4. Watersprite

Watersprite New Member

Thanks for your replies, but... I would be able to do this if the flapper were soft rubber (and have done so many times). But where it is connected to the bar, this flapper is SOLID HARD PLASTIC all around and there is no way to slide it off or slide it any other direction. I just called Toto and they said I had to cut it off! What??? (And I need to buy a cutting tool [dykes] to do it.) There has to be an easier way. The support rep at Toto even had to check with his supervisor. Ever heard of this?
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

6. Terry

I may need a picture of that. The hard plastic one that I'm aware of lifts straight up.

[​IMG]
    The hard plastic one from about ten years ago lifts off the pins straight up. It can be replaced with the new rubber flappers, or there is a rubber disk that can be replaced on the underside of the flat plastic flapper assembly.

[​IMG]

The old style above. This has the old Hunter fill valve, and notice that the refill tube needs to be pointed down the overflow tube.

THU096 disc for older style TOTO Ultramax flush valve.
    http://www.nyrpcorp.com/toto-flapper-thu096

[​IMG]

Newer style with the ears.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  7. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Do us a favor and post a picture if you can. Then we'll know what we're dealing with.
  8. Watersprite

Watersprite New Member

OK -- Here are two photos. BTW, I bought this toilet two years ago.

Drake flapper.jpg Drake Innards.jpg
  9. Terry

The flapper lifts off the pins. You angle it up a bit as you slide it off.
    That flapper is very easy to remove and replace. We sometimes, with the customer there show them how easy it is to remove and replace.
    Here's a hint. Rubber bends.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The pin has an asymmetrical nub, as does the opening in the flapper. It's easier to take off when you lift the flapper up some to align the long ear of the nubs and the slot in the flapper itself.
  11. Watersprite

Watersprite New Member

Thanks for all help from everyone! I did manage to remove the flapper, but it was far from easy. Tight access to the tank and very little room inside to work -- I couldn't get the handle off, so had to maneuver around it. The Korky is so easy to install -- why can't Toto be the same? Anyway, all is now well.

My hat's off to all of you in this business. Thank you again.
  12. Starwarsith88

Starwarsith88 DIY kid who loves toilets

I wonder where the person dug that hunter fill valve out of!
  13. Terry

The original Ultimate came with that valve.
    Same parts as the Korky. Korky bought them out.