How to remove this kitchen faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeW888

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove an old kitchen faucet that was never installed properly (it wobbles) and got stuck at this part (sorry about the bad picture, I only have a camera phone with me at the moment):

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that I need to unscrew that very long nut to remove that "half ring" so I can lift out the faucet. If so, does anybody have any tips on how to do that? I tried unscrewing it with a hex socket driver hooked up to a cordless impact driver but it wouldn't budge plus I wasn't sure which way to unscrew it (does the normal "right tight, left loose" rule apply to unscrewing nuts "upside down"?). I didn't have any WD-40 with me at the time which I've since purchased but haven't had a chance to stick my head under the sink again.

Am I just going to have to keep working at it to get it off or am I doing it wrong and there's another way to remove the faucet?

This is what the faucet looks like from the top, in case it matters. I don't know what the brand is, unfortunately:

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a standard thread.
I doubt that a cordless would have enough power to get it off.

Instructions always say how easy it is to replace a faucet.
They don't say how hard, and how much muscle it take though.

You man need a socket with an extension and a long enough wrench to move it.

Good picture though.

faucet-nut-drilled-2.jpg

With this faucet, since there wasn't really room for a standard wrench, and the socket that came with the faucet wasn't there, I pulled out a drill and was able to cut (drill) a section out of the nut. Then I was able to drop it off the threads and remove the faucet.
Eye protection a must!

Last edited:

MikeW888

Reaction score
Great thanks for the confirmation that I do need to remove it (somehow). I'll keep soaking it with penetrating oil for a while and try it again later. I do have a corded drill as well I can hook up to the socket driver to try and remove it.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I could be wrong here but wasn't there a nut that threaded on the rod? It looks to me like the nut is already off so the faucet should just come off. Prehaps someone siliconed it to the deck.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea it does look like the nut is already off.
Rip that 1/2 ring off and it should come off.

In most cases when replacing a faucet getting the old one off is the worst part of the job. However, when the customer pulls out the Foo-Foo Designer Faucet that can change...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nut

I is not visible in your photo, so look up inside the "nut/sleeve". Some companies use a lock screw inside it keep it from coming loose. If so it will remove with a regular screwdriver and then the sleeve will unscrew fairly easily.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you have to, have to....

If that long nut is rusted/calcified on, and won’t come off, I’ve had to get a small dia grinder under there and cut off the bolt just below that horse shoe looking ring, and the top of the nut. Make sure you wear safety glasses, and watch where the sparks are going to fly. If you tack up an old wet rag, and will catch the flying sparks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
BTW...WD 40 is not penetrating oil...PB Blaster...is the best in my NSHO... there are a few others. Be sure it says "penetrating" on the label.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nut

With a 7/16" socket and a rachet wrench you will either loosen the sleeve, or the bolt/stud from the faucet, or snap the bolt. No grinder needed. But check for the locking screw/device first.

MikeW888

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I tried to take a better look inside the nut but didn't see anything that looked like I could unscrew in there so I just gave it another go with a socket but this time hooked up to a corded drill and that was able to break it free.

What came out looks like a combination nut and thread that looks like it's supposed to be two pieces but got fused together over the years:

faucet_05_640.jpg

and this is what it looks like peering down the other end:

faucet_04_640.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This may not be worth the trouble, but anyone ever thought to brush a little anti-sieze compound on those steel threads before assembly? It would probably prevent corrosion and allow easier disassembly way down the road.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope...
Usually the only time that nut is getting undone is when a new faucet is going to take its place...

Tear it off however you can and as long as it's off its fine...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks