how to remove the black gunk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I have this black tar like patches that was used to hold large mirrors in my master bath. It looks like thye used white silicon caulk too. Any ideas on how to remove. So far I have had to rip the top paper off the sheetrock then dab drywall compound to fill and blend the texture in. Not the best but any ideas will help.
Please no one suggest to remove the entire area and replace with new sheetrock. I would rather cut off my manhood to have to blend in a entire wall of texture :D

Thank Chris

Attachments

• drwall gunk 1.jpg
    drwall gunk 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 412
  • drywall gunk.jpg
    drywall gunk.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 436

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try to find a solvent labeled as a mirror mastic remover. Spray it on and wait a bit. Then use a 5 in 1 glazing tool to scrape the wall.

Worse comes to worse, you'll just need to make several small drywall repairs. For textured walls like that, I prefer to use vinyl spackling. It doesn't shrink and you can use your drywall knife to swirl the texture, so you can fix the wall and put in the texture all in one step.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I would be tempted to cover the wall with 1/4" drywall, tape + mud, then repaint. Depends on how in depth you want the repair to be.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might find a solvent that would clean it off, but I'd be worried about paint sticking later. It seems to me that removing the drywall paper and then repairing the resulting "damage" would be the best way to go.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Thnaks for the suggestions.
I am worried about the silicon caulk, it blends in with the white paint and its hard to tell where it is. Thus paint wont stick and orange peel.

Chris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks