how to remove the black gunk...

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chris fox, Nov 20, 2007.

1. chris fox

chris fox New Member

I have this black tar like patches that was used to hold large mirrors in my master bath. It looks like thye used white silicon caulk too. Any ideas on how to remove. So far I have had to rip the top paper off the sheetrock then dab drywall compound to fill and blend the texture in. Not the best but any ideas will help.
    Please no one suggest to remove the entire area and replace with new sheetrock. I would rather cut off my manhood to have to blend in a entire wall of texture :D

Thank Chris

Attached Files:

2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Try to find a solvent labeled as a mirror mastic remover. Spray it on and wait a bit. Then use a 5 in 1 glazing tool to scrape the wall.

Worse comes to worse, you'll just need to make several small drywall repairs. For textured walls like that, I prefer to use vinyl spackling. It doesn't shrink and you can use your drywall knife to swirl the texture, so you can fix the wall and put in the texture all in one step.
  3. chassis

chassis Engineer

I would be tempted to cover the wall with 1/4" drywall, tape + mud, then repaint. Depends on how in depth you want the repair to be.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You might find a solvent that would clean it off, but I'd be worried about paint sticking later. It seems to me that removing the drywall paper and then repairing the resulting "damage" would be the best way to go.
  5. chris fox

chris fox New Member

Thnaks for the suggestions.
    I am worried about the silicon caulk, it blends in with the white paint and its hard to tell where it is. Thus paint wont stick and orange peel.

Chris