How to remove stubborn tank bolt?

Users who are viewing this thread

KAnthony203

Reaction score
I was advised to cut it off. It's really tight on there so there is no room to get under it with a saw blade. If that is how they meant for me to cut it off. Any suggestions and if cutting it off is the only option please advise how I am to go about it seeng as tho I have zero experience with this. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20161125_192314.jpg
    20161125_192314.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 265

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe they meant to cut it off with a cut off wheel on a dremel tool or maybe an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. ..... You could try to unscrew it with a pair of channel locks pliers.

KAnthony203

Reaction score
Been trying to unscrew it. That's the reason for the "How to remove stubborn tank bolt" title. It will not budge. I'm in fear that I may crack the tank with all the force I've using. I guess I'm going to have to rent a dremel & cutoff wheel. Thank you for replying.

Last edited:

KAnthony203

Reaction score
So I would drill right into the nut or the bolt? Also if you I may ask is there a specific bit I should purchase?

Reach4

Reaction score
While you have the old toilet pulled, you might consider getting a newer toilet that is probably going to work better.

KAnthony203

Reaction score
Thank you all for the assist! The drilling seems to be the most affordable option. Just a matter of getting the right bit. But the recip saw is a good option also.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can pick up a pack of drill bits for $10, or a sawzall for $59 and stick an $8 blade on it. Either would work.

And I throw about better stuff than what you are trying to save. You may want to spend the money on a new toilet. It's money better spent.

MKS

Reaction score
Drilling a series of holes in the flange of the nut without drilling into the bottom of the tank then using a cold chisel to split the flange through these holes may work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks