How to remove shower valve stem?

Users who are viewing this thread

mbomber

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a problem getting the valve stem out to replace, with a 2 handle system. I can get the knob off, and the chrome cover comes off just fine. However, there's another sleeve that's made of copper that surrounds the stem, with only a few millimeters distance between the two. There doesn't appear to be any nuts or anything to use a wrench or socket on. I also cannot unscrew the valve stem, as it looks like it's just screwed into the piping in the wall. It's pretty corroded, i've sprayed with WD40 and gotten nowhere. Anybody have any ideas? Also, not sure on the brand, I don't see that info anywhere. This house was built in the early 1920's and it's looking like things were updated in the 50's?? I've attached a pic that may help with figuring this out.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 5,646

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may find that there's a hex deeper in the assembly behind that caulk or plaster. You'd need a deep socket or a plumbers socket to unscrew the assembly.

mbomber

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the response. I've checked and checked, can't find any hex behind the fiberglass shower wall. I've attached another pic, as I have an access area behind the shower. From everything i've read and seen, this doesn't seem to be a typical set-up for things? Am i incorrect in thinking that?
Just wondering if there may be some other trick of the trade?

Attachments

• IMG_2345.jpg
    IMG_2345.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,259

mbomber

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I'll take a look again. I bought some PB Blaster today to give a try. I'm correct in assuming the copper sheath unscrews to expose the entire valve underneath? If that's the case and I get it free it should be pretty self explanatory from there? Thanks for all your input. Also, could it be welded/soldered in?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I'll take a look again. I bought some PB Blaster today to give a try. I'm correct in assuming the copper sheath unscrews to expose the entire valve underneath? If that's the case and I get it free it should be pretty self explanatory from there? Thanks for all your input. Also, could it be welded/soldered in?

No it is threaded!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

That brass piece looks like it has two flats and it unscrews from the faucet. Then the stem unscrews from the faucet body. It does not come out when you remove the brass piece.

mbomber

Reaction score
So what you guys are telling me is that I unscrew the brass piece and then get access to unscrew the stem? As you can see i've gouged the hell out of the brass piece trying to unscrew it with vice grips. It was completely round when i started lol. I would also unscrew the brass piece cc or clockwise since it unscrew from the faucet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks