How to remove long-time residue from stick-on no-slip decals

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by KarenTheBold, Sep 12, 2013.

1. KarenTheBold

KarenTheBold New Member

Years ago when I rented out my home, the tenant stuck on no-skid decals on the bottom of my bathtub. (Ceramic bathtub installed in 1948.) I removed the decals as best I could, but there are still rough spots in the tub that also catch dirt, residue from the stick-um on the decals.

Is there a way to remove this residue? (I'm not interested in tearing out the tub, which would mean having to remodel every part of the bathroom. The bathroom is now only used for guests.)

Thanks!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Try something like GooGone. There are several other similar products, but this one is pretty good at this sort of stuff (mostly natural ingredients). Readily available lots of places and not very expensive. Acetone might work - be careful with the stuff as it is absorbed through your skin, and it smells funky. Use gloves and good ventilation. Something like the Mr Clean Eraser might help getting the last of it up.
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Xeylene is a smelly awful stuff. It does however remove so much sticky stuff.

It is the main ingredient in goo gone and sometimes easier and cheaper to find.

JW
  4. KarenTheBold

KarenTheBold New Member

Clarification: The residue isn't sticky. In fact it is dry and just gritty enough to trap stains and look bad.

Thanks for the advice so far--I just want to explain the nature of the residue, before I go buy "serious" chemicals that may not address the current situation.

What do you think?
  5. jadnashua

I think John was confusing Goo Off with Goo Gone. GooGone is mostly citrus based. It's not very expensive, and handy to have around - I'd give it a try.
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

What Jim said.

I was thinking of the smelly Goof Off product. Never tried the citrus version.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Use a razor blade on it. Sometimes we pull the blade out of a box knife and use that.
  8. dj2

dj2 Member

Just to add to that:

Keep the area wet and scrape in a very small angle so you don't scorch the tub. Work slowly.
  9. KarenTheBold

KarenTheBold New Member

I appreciate you who provided suggestions. Terry, I'm honored you weighed in too. I'll report back on what works.

I do have a concern that the tub surface is already a bit rough, perhaps due to using abrasive stuff like Ajax in the past both for cleaning (in the three decades before I bought the house plus seven years of tenants) and then my own efforts to remove traces of the decals.
  10. jadnashua

I'd try some Goo Gone first to soften things up, then see what happens. Saturate a paper towel and leave it on the area overnight, then see what happens...cheap, and the stuff is handy to have around to get sticky residue off things. It will soften a lot of things. The fact the adhesive is hard may not be a big deal...it was soft, and the Goo Gone should help make it that way again, and then I'd try scraping off what's left.