How to remove broken nipple from shower valve stem

Users who are viewing this thread

TomMcW

Reaction score
I'm repairing my shower valve and the zinc nipple that the escutcheon screws onto broke off. I can't figure out how to get the darn thing out now. Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about:
Tub valve.jpg
And a photo of the valve:
IMG_0149.JPG

I removed the stem expecting it to be a bonnet nut, but it appears that it is all one piece. (I could be wrong about that, but if it is a nut I can't get it unscrewed from the body of the stem. Also, the parts blowup from the manufacturer indicates that the bonnet nut is not used on 1/4 turn stem, which this is.) [edit: I read the diagram wrong. I guess it is a bonnet nut. I tried my darndest to unscrew it while I had it out, but no joy]

Here's what I've tried so far:

Applied penetrating oil.

I took the nipple from the other side and used my dremel to make "teeth" on one end of it. Using a ratchet and socket I tried to use the toothed nipple to turn the fragment out. It won't bite at all.

I used a small punch against the exposed edge at an angle trying to turn it. The punch digs into the zinc, but it won't turn.

I applied a butane torch to heat it up hoping the brass and zinc would loosen. I'm afraid to get it too hot, though. It's currently installed in the faucet in the wall.

As you can see in the pic I've banged the valve up a bit in this process, but the working parts of the valve appear to be in good shape and there are no leaks. I'm not sure what else to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

Faucet manufacturer: Union Brass
Model: I believe either 30 or 530 (it was installed 30+ years ago)
Valve stem model: 80081

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Removing the bonnet nut may not help you that much. You may have to chip out some grout around the stem to unscrew the stem from the valve.

TomMcW

Reaction score
I'm not sure if they're ceramic or not. Here's the business end.
IMG_0150.JPG

I got the nut off, but the plastic part behind the nut was super brittle and crumbled so now I'm looking at replacing the valves. A whole new faucet would be nice, but that would require wall surgery and that's not in the cards at this point. I just want to get this thing working at the moment. Is it possible to replace those valves with the regular washer type? These valves are pretty expensive. Almost $30 apiece. Whereas I can get a whole rebuild kit for $55 with the 7E-1 compression valves instead of the 7E-7 that are in there now. But I don't know if the faucet is compatible with only one type of valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks