How to remove and cap unneeded waste pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

JRW

Reaction score
In the process of a whole house remodel, I eliminated a half bath.
The copper waste pipe from that toilet dropped down into the lower level and was trimmed out to look like a column.

It has been removed down to the cast iron fitting that goes into a CI waste line (tied into the main).

What are my options to cap this off below grade so I can fill in the floor and level?

Waste Pipe 1.jpg

Waste Pipe 3.jpg

Waste Pipe 4.jpg

Can this be cut off from the inside of the pipe and capped (sealed) somehow, or does the concrete floor have to be removed and if so, how much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Take out a sledge, break the concrete and cap it off. It would be almost impossible to cut a cast iron pipe that small from the inside.

JRW

Reaction score
Ok, thanks!
While I'm working on breaking up the floor, I have another issue in the same area.
I would like to change out the wall hung carrier for the basement toilet to a rear outlet toilet that sits at ADA height.

Is there a way to do this without busting out the concrete?

What are the tools and plumbing connections I will need?
What is the best brand/type of toilet? (Pressure assist?)

Carrier 3.jpg
Carrier 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you install a Gerber Maxwell Gravity wall hung there, you will have ADA height.

maxwell_wh_wood.jpg

With a standard 4-1/4" wall rough, the top of the bowl is at 16-1/8"
By contrast, the American Standard Glenwall is 14-1/2"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks