How to remove a Sharkbite Crimp Ring

Users who are viewing this thread

CFO

Reaction score
I have just a handful of Sharkbite crimp rings to remove and don't want to buy their special tool for such a small job. Can anyone tell me how to get these buggers off without destroying the fitting?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this Sharkbite pex crimped connection or one of their push-fit connectors? Sounds like pex. Cutting off the crimp ring without damaging the pex can be tricky.

You might be able to grab and cut it with a pair of end-cutter pliers, or maybe cut it with a cutoff stone on a Dremel, or similar.

Last edited:

CFO

Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about the Pex crimped connectors...the ones that look like a wedding band when affixed. Sharkbite sells a special hand tool to remove them but I am hoping someone has figured out a way to remove them using 'regular' hand tools.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It depends on what you want to do. The easiest way is to cut the PEX at the end of the "barb" and then slit the ring with a hacksaw. with the regular tool, you also cut the PEX, then the tool inserts into the fitting and it "severs" the band when you squeeze the handles.

ShockHazard

Reaction score
Not sure if you are using the same kind as me, but
If you look carefully, the entire ring is actually a strip of stainless that is held together by a single tang.
If you bend the tang over, or just pull on the end of the strap with needle nose pliers you can take the ring off
without actually cutting or breaking the metal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a "cinch" ring, not the circular one this person is using. The one you have is easily removed by just cutting the raised cinch "tang", flush with the rest of it, with a small hacksaw.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ONe thing never mentioned with reference to the original question is that you should NEVER destroy the fitting, unless you are some kind of 600# gorilla who thinks brute force solves all problems. However,You will almost always destroy the short piece of the PEX where it is slid onto the fitting, .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks