how to refill and hot water system

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by chuckdiy, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chuckdiy

chuckdiy New Member

I have a pumped hot water monoflow system with 8 convector radiators. I'll be draining the system so that I can move some of the existing pipes around. Draining the system seems pretty straight-forward to me (but if anyone has any tips, I would certainly appreciate them). However, I don't know what the process is for refilling the system? How to I make sure all of the air is out. Can someone help?

I'm thinking that I would just open the bleeders on each of the convectors then start to put water into the system. Then just wait until each of the bleeders spews water. Is that effective? There is an Air Scoop on the system, but I don't know how much air it is designed to remove. I should mention that I don't think the expansion tank has a bladder in it (old style)....it's a system that was done in 1960. Do I have to do anything with the Air Scoop during the process?

Any and all help is much appreciated!
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

yep, that's it
  3. chuckdiy

chuckdiy New Member

Thanks. One follow-up. Do I have to emty the expansion tank during (or before) this refill process?
  4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

No you don't have to empty the tank but as long as you have the system down it would be a good time to drain it. It should be done yearly.

John
  5. aksavarna

aksavarna New Member