How to recognize slow-flow toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

gettingthisdone

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a new toilet, but I do not like slow flow toilets (where the water goes around really slowly as it leaves the bowl). I will likely be buying online and I will likely select on of the toilets on Terry's best toilets page: https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm.

I want to ask: how do I recognize a slow-flow toilet if I am ordering online? Is there some keyword that I should look for? Do manufacturers identify slow flow toilets on line? I don't want to have to call each manufacturer. In particular, if I were to narrow it down to a Toto, is there a way to quickly see online which Totos are slow flows so that I can avoid those (although I guess it would not be bad to call Toto to find out, as this would be one call; but I like chewing things over and to see the information online would be helpful).

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pretty much any new toilet meeting the 1.6g flush needs to flush faster than any of the older, higher flow toilets or they won't be able to actually flush much! Most of them utilize what is called a siphon jet to get things moving...it's a smaller hole aligned to exit down the toilet's outlet. The biggest differences in the Toto toilets (except for some of their dual-flush or really high end Neorest) is the bowl wash. The newest has the II designation, and washes the bowl from two jets that force the washing water around the bowl verses through numerous small holes underneath the rim.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any of the TOTO brand will flush quickly, and so do many of the other brands like American Standard, Gerber and Kohler.

Here is the latest online ordered toilet that I was called to install.

amazon-toilet-broken.jpg

They had dropped the box off the end of the delivery van and smashed it.
I don't really recommend online ordering of toilets unless you like to gamble.
Also, why not do business with a neighbor?

gettingthisdone

Reaction score
Many thanks Terry -- About buying online -- first, I don't have much against the big boxes, but I find that they do not carry the higher quality (but reasonably priced) items or the staff is not much help (e.g., Home Depot does not carry higher grade Toto). My alternative is to go to the dealer display showrooms. But they grate me the other way: they all seem geared to the rich upper income, suburban household looking for expensive, stunning, magazine quality finishes. When they realize that I am looking for good quality but reasonably-priced items, interest in my needs drops quickly.

There are only a few stores in the middle where I live. They each generally require a 1/2 hour drive. I find that the staff, while helpful, are too busy to meet answer my questions. Online allows me to think, think, reflect, and then make a decision, without have to visit a store several times and feeling rushed to make a decision.

I firmly believe in supporting local economies, but I don't like feeling like I need to make a decision in 10 minutes because the sales person needs to move on to someone else and I don't want to have to visit the store 3 times. I guess that I am a slow decision-maker, but I can't change that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most plumbing supply houses either carry or can order Toto products. If you need to view one, then you need a showroom, but if you've decided what you want, they can order one for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks