How to put the mortar bed under a bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Stepht

Reaction score
Hello! I suspect this has been answered on here somewhere, and I have found mentions of Terry's preferred method of using mortar "columns". We're doing a major bathroom remodel and it's time to get the bathtub in there. I've got a Jetta soaking tub, which comes with very scant installation instructions. I called the company who recommended a layer of plastic on the sub-floor (which is wood), 1"+ of mortar, another layer of plastic, and the tub. They couldn't really speak to using stringers on the side walls (it's a 3-wall installation without an apron), and the instructions specifically say the lip should not be supported by framing members. The owner of the tub store also talked about the "column" method, and even drew me a schematic, using "1/2 a muffin tin" of mortar near the foot and "1/2 a yogurt cup" of mortar at the head. I've been literally having nightmares about this process for the last couple of weeks!

Questions:
- Do we put plastic under and over the mortar?
- How many "columns"? The tub has a solid plywood base.
- If we use columns should there be a solid layer of mortar as a base?
- Assuming we can calculate the finish height of the tub, including the 1" of mortar, should we attach stringers to the walls? We can't actually push the tub in from the front. One side wall was a doorway, and we haven't yet framed it in, so the tub in coming in from the side and will be rotated and dropped in. At least that's the theory :)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
Steph

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I mix up two bags of mortar somewhat tight, I'll etch a imprint of where the tub actually sits on the floor before doing so, then I set height of the mortar about 3" so it squeezes out to the sides.

From there I pack those sides back in tight, make sure that I've brought that up as close to the tub drain as I can.

If it is a steel tub, put plastic on the top side. I've never had a problem with setting mortar on a wood floor but once it's dry, it's always stays dry from that point on. Plastic could work on the below as well, but not necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks