How to prevent your computer from getting Virus

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Turn your computer OFF, It Works every time...

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes it does! lol. I think... :) I remember when the personal computer first came about, and we got the granddaddy of one, a huge HP I think it was, and I asked my son, " when I shut this off can someone still hack into it?"

Can they? lol. I still don't know.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes they can Cookie.

But normally Only if you have "Wake on LAN" Turned on.

Turning off the power Strip going to the computer is the best protection.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hmm, wake on lan?

When I purchased this huge expensive computer back then, it was 1,500 back then, in the early'90's, I think, I told son, " I will pay for this but, you got to promise to make me computer illerate." He stuck to his promise he did, but, I still lack on alot of knowledge of the dealings of them. I can get by, I can do business things, etc, and can do auto cad even, but, unlike my son, I know none of the languages.

The computer is still so awesome to me, lol. I love the technology. And, if I was in my 20'
s I would definitely, be in computer science

Ah, wait, I was already computer illerate, lol ... the other way around.

ha ha, maybe I should spell it right, too.

Last edited:

Stephen C

Reaction score
Install Linux Ubuntu operating system . It is free download , easy to install and virus proof . It can be installed beside windows so you can still hook up to devices like scanners that are difficult to install in Linux .

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Hooking up scanners has never been a problem for me. If you havea real need for windows. You can always jun it inside a vm.

Wombat

Reaction score
Everybody without exception should always run in user mode except when you are doing administrative issues such as installing a program. Create an Administrative account and change your current account to "User Mode". Look on the web for instructions to do this. It is still possible to get a virus in user mode but it will only infect that account and will not become a "rootkit". Just this simple change will eliminate 99 percent of viruses. Another way to avoid viruses is to run Internet Explorer in "Protected Mode". Still another way is to browse in a sandbox via Sandboxie or even a use Virtual OS.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldnt bother running IE. They still have not been able to keep IE secure for more than a few months.
Get a router turn the firewall on in the router. Get a good Firewall like ZoneAlarm. Zone Alarm free works just fine. Sign up for open DNS. Carefully learn how to set it up. There now you will be protected from most things. Block IE from going on the Web n your chances of getting a virus will be very slim. I ran FireFox for years. with no fire wall on my PC. Never had anything.
The wife was running IE when I met her. She was fully of problems. I fixed things. No firewal on her laptop. Has not had any problems. Proof is in the use.

DonL

Reaction score
To prevent viruses, simply use a program such as Norton Antivirus, McAfee, or any other major virus protection program. A firewall is also very good in preventing viruses. On my computer I use Norton Antivirus and it is very helpful. You just access the internet for a live update every 30 days. For more details you may check out this link..

wikihow.com/Avoid-Getting-a-Computer-Virus-or-Worm-on-Your-Windows-PC

I think Norton Antivirus is a waste of money.

It slows the system down and makes you think you have problems when you really don't.

They scam you into buying a update.

Same goes for McAfee.

aquadood

Reaction score
Norton AntiBoot

I think Norton Antivirus is a waste of money.

It slows the system down and makes you think you have problems when you really don't.

They scam you into buying a update.

Same goes for McAfee.

I'd have to agree with that one, especially when the antivirus software causes your computer to not work!

"Symantec antivirus software update crashes some PCs" - Just this morning

DonL

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with that one, especially when the antivirus software causes your computer to not work!

"Symantec antivirus software update crashes some PCs" - Just this morning

Good Info.

I have a Vista Machine that came with that FREE ? software, free trial, and the computer started getting the BSOD.

I used The WinForce Control Panel to disable its startup.

Symantec Antivirus has a way of getting turned back on when the trial runs out and you don't pay for a upgrade.

Hard to tell how many people buy a new computer when it is a easy fix.

young707

Reaction score
My experience with all those Anti-Virus programs: for years, I go to Fry's Electronics and pick up any of these in 100% rebate Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, etc. and use them for free for the entire year. However, for the last few years, these rebate came in debit cards which is a great hassle to use because nobody accept it.

Also, I found building high performance systems, these Anti-Virus is great hassle and restriction is just not acceptable. So, the last few years, I get rid of those paid anti-virus programs. It has been great.

Build a machine that is not commonly used by everybody else. For example, I build 64 bit Windows 7. That means all program Files (x86) uses totally different folders compare to majority of 32 bit machines. Actually, all PC sold are running on 64 bit systems. The ONLY difference is your Windows 7 operating system. To find out your system type, click start - computer - right click - property. You will see under system, the system type.

I use:
Microsoft Windows Defender and download their free mpas-f3x64.exe
Microsoft Security Essentials x64 - mseinstall.exe
Microsoft Standalone system Sweeper x64 msstool64.exe

Once a while, I download and run:
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool - KB90830x64-v4.5.exe
Also, I go download HouseCall - HousecallLauncher64.exe

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks