How to plumb septic where drop is > 1/4" per foot

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bigwooo, Oct 29, 2011.

1. bigwooo

bigwooo New Member

I'm plumbing from the house to my septic tank. Using 4" ABS pipe, the drop from where the pipe leaves the house to the septic tank is about 4' over a 110' run. Roughly 2x the recommended drop. I'm in Mexico, so there is no code.

Do I put a 45 somewhere to create a step that will make up for the extra fall? Would it be best to put the step at the end/middle/beginning of the run?

If possible, it would be much less work to put the step at the end of the run as this would require much less digging in rocky soil (by hand, no backhoe available :( )

If a step is not the best option, what should I do to keep the majority of the run at the proper slope?

Thanks.
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

4' drop is fine, go with it
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There is a MINIMUM standard for slopes, but NO MAXIMUM recommendation, so just install the pipe in a straight line.
  4. bigwooo

bigwooo New Member

Thanks, I had understood that if the slope was too great there would be a problem with the water out running the solids.

I should have clarified this earlier, so just to be sure, in my system, all the shower and washing machine water will be diverted to a greywater recycling system http://rewater.com/, so there will not be as much flushing of the pipes by this water as in a normal home. The only water flushing fixtures will be the kitchen sink and dishwaster that go to septic along with the toilets and bathroom sinks. Just want to be sure that not having those fixtures will cause difficulty flushing solids with a greater slope.
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

That solids separating thing is a huge urban myth. If it were true then how on earth would the sewers in San Francisco work?
  6. bigwooo

bigwooo New Member

Ya got me there....I won't worry about it.