How to plumb basement sink drain?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by oldrover, Jan 23, 2006.

1. oldrover

oldrover New Member

I'm finishing a bathroom in my basement, roughed in by builder 6 years ago. Did I plumb for the sink correctly? Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

• bath.jpg
      bath.jpg
      File size:
      38 KB
      Views:
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Does the horizontal drain slope down to the vertical connection?
  3. oldrover

oldrover New Member

Yes. I sloped the pipe down to the vent. I was just concerned because I saw some pictures showing a loop configuration for a sink drain.
  4. dubldare

dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

Not legal where I'm from- too many offsets in horizontal trap arm. Maximum allowed 90° between trap and vent.
  5. oldrover

oldrover New Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I came straight off the vertical pipe and have a 90 at the end. What should I have done?

Thanks.
  6. dubldare

It appears that between the vertical stack (where the tee is) and where the sink goes, you are offsetting 180 degrees (on the horizontal).

The tee is where the vent for the sink is.

If you would have drilled the studs and aimed the tee toward the 90 for the sink, you would be fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  7. oldrover

oldrover New Member

Doh! :confused:
    Thanks. Now I understand.
    I did it that way because the wall was framed slightly out of square and I am ripping 2x4's to make that wall square. So, there isn't room to notch them. So, can I get by with this, or is there another way to do it?
    Thanks. :)
  8. oldrover

oldrover New Member

One more try;
    Is there a way to plumb this with the pipes going behind the wall as I've done? What about a loop to the vent? Is that what I need?
    What would happen if I just left it the way it is? Would it still work ok?

Thanks...
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

It will work, but it may be more difficult to snake it if the line becomes obstructed.
  10. oldrover

oldrover New Member

Thanks for your advice!
  11. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

And an inspecter would likely turn you down with the extra bend in the pipe.

No plumber would have done it that way.
  12. oldrover

oldrover New Member

I'm open to suggestions..
    I can't go straight through the studs, because they will only be about 2 inches thick in that area.
  13. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

How about making the entire wall wider. You could sister on to the 2x4 studs with 2x6s or even 2x8s and that would give you the room you need. Walls that have drain pipes usually have 2x6 studs.
  14. oldrover

oldrover New Member

Thanks for the suggestion!
    I hadn't thought of using 2x6's. Sounds like a good idea!
    Just to make sure I'm not screwing this all up, I have attached more photos to better represent my situation.
    In order to make the tub fit correctly, and keeping the room square, I figured that I would need to rip some 2x4's to just barely enclose the vent pipe.
    But, the toilet rough in will be 12 inches on center from the studs, so I have to get a 10" toilet, right?
    I also have a standard tub at the end of the bath. That rough in seems to be ok. As you can see, I have already dug it out and attached the drainpipe to make sure it fits. (I am really paranoid about screwing this up!)

Attached Files:

15. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

When you add the 1/2" drywall, the 11.5" you have left will still allow some 12" toilets to fit...so, all is not lost, you just have to be more selective. The selection of 10" rough-ins isn't as big.
  16. dubldare

An alternate, lol

Attached Files: