How to plug overflow hole on soaker tub

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by DoofusOfTheDay, Feb 9, 2014.

1. DoofusOfTheDay

DoofusOfTheDay New Member

I am helping a buddy redo his master bathroom. He bought a clawfoot soaker tub and was assuming it had just the drain hole on the bottom and no overflow hole on the end of the tub. He doesn't like how the overflow pipe will look sitting all exposed, so wants to put some kind of cover plate on the hole and install the drain only. Is there such a cover plate that exists?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

And he REALLY believes a "cover" over the opening will look different and/or better than a regular overflow plate? In fact, if he gets the right overflow plate it will look JUST LIKE a cover and will make unplugging the drain, sometime, a lot easier.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

My take on the OP is that it's not the look of the cover plate from the inside of the tub, but the look of the piping on the outside.

As hj mentions, the overflow pipe is what is normally used to snake the drain.
  4. jim mills

jim mills New Member

Done well, and with the right piping, my opinion is that it enhances the look of the tub.
  5. DoofusOfTheDay

DoofusOfTheDay New Member

Exactly what I am thinking. The tub has chrome feet, and a nice chrome plate and drain will enhance the look. I suggested this yesterday, we'll see how he responds.