How to move cold water supply 2 inches?

Users who are viewing this thread

sleepaholic

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, tried various searches to no avail.

I'm doing a kitchen reno, which involves moving the sink about 8 inches to the left. nothing to crazy about that, but if I do that the cold water supply pipe will lie 2 inches outside the sink cabinet.

So the question is, how to get that pipe inside the cabinet? I have no access from the basement since the ceiling is finished. Is it possible to bend/move the pipe in the toekick space under the cabinets to manouver it into the sink cabinet?

Or is the only solution to open up the floor to re-solder a new cold water supply pipe into the new location of the sink cabinet?

I've attached a pic of the pipes/cabinet as they are now. And yes I know the drain pipe isn't done properly either...an unexpected bonus in purchasing a 50 year old house from its original owner.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I've attached a pic of the pipes/cabinet as they are now. And yes I know the drain pipe isn't done properly either...an unexpected bonus in purchasing a 50 year old house from its original owner.
I don't see your pic that would help alot

sleepaholic

Reaction score
heres the forgotten pic....

...sorry about that, its getting pretty late....

Attachments

• DSCN2062.JPG
    DSCN2062.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 539

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
sleepaholic said:
... moving the sink ... the cold water supply pipe will lie 2 inches outside the sink cabinet ...

Is it possible to bend/move the pipe in the toekick space under the cabinets to manouver it into the sink cabinet?

Or is the only solution to open up the floor to re-solder a new cold water supply pipe into the new location of the sink cabinet?

Adding a couple of elbows (along with a new piece of pipe to get rid of that saddle valve) would take care of the matter, but the line would still be above the floor beside the cabinet unless you open the floor.

sleepaholic said:
And yes I know the drain pipe isn't done properly either...

That is certainly an interesting connection!

TMB9862

Reaction score
Are you removing the cabinets? If you are once they're out I'd just cut right above the floor, elbow over, and come back up. Basically run the line between the cabinets and floor. Your only other option is to open up the ceiling or floor to access the line.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you removing the cabinets? If you are once they're out I'd just cut right above the floor, elbow over, and come back up. Basically run the line between the cabinets and floor.
that would be your best option.

sleepaholic

Reaction score
Is it ok to use 'Sharkbite' fittings to do the elbow, or does this require new copper and solder?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Theoretically, and by code usually, Sharkbites can be used. They are not exactly new, but many of us would be more comfortable with a soldered connection in a location where you would never see a drip until it was too late to prevent damage. Probably just "old folks syndrome"!!!!!

TMB9862

Reaction score
It defiantly requires new copper. That riser you have now is for all practical purposes destroyed because of the saddle valve. You can get a five foot piece of half inch copper from Home Depot for probably about ten bucks.

So long as a shark bite fitting is code approved where you are you could use them. They aren't cheap though and you're going to need at least two elbows and you need to get the speedy valve on there somehow (do they make compression speedy valves?). I'd rather see it soldered personally.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Is it ok to use 'Sharkbite' fittings to do the elbow, or does this require new copper and solder?

I think the sharkbite fittings are a little large not to sure but you may run out of room. You might hit the bottom of the cabinet.

sleepaholic

Reaction score
I understand that copper would be the prefered method. However, I'm a little concerned with setting the floor on fire since the elbows would have to be soldered so close to the floor boards; since I gotta run the elbows under the cabinets, so like 5 inches or so.

Is a really short run of PEX using an adaptor for copper do-able? Can I put a shut-off value at the end of the PEX? Not familiar at all with PEX, just from what I've read on the forums.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
As for concerns with burning the floor, two things to note.
Flame angle doesn't have to point at the floor, keep the torch handle near the floor and angle even or upwards.
ALWAYS keep a fire extinguisher next to you.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not seeing what it is that you're trying to do but why not just cut out a section of the drywall below?

Overall your life will be easier and the install will be better.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards.

Tom

sleepaholic

Reaction score
Well, the ceiling of the basement is finished with plaster. And there is a 'swirly' plaster detailing across the whole ceiling, so cutting a hole through the middle of it would not be an easy patch to fix.

Thats why I'm looking for solutions from above, preferably not using solder due to the fire threat.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That does change things but if you patch the drywall and just call in a Drywaller to do the swirl that shouldn't cost much.

Tom

TMB9862

Reaction score
If you're that concerned just slide a piece of metal between the pipe and the floor/wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks