How to make the Toto Drake always flush fully?

Users who are viewing this thread

Composter

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, a communication problem. I have had these toilets for 13 years and know what I'm doing, being the goto person for many others. Please note that other than the leak, THE TOILET WORKED FINE. Only after replacing the flapper did it not flush completely, meaning that the flapper closes prematurely and doesn't allow quite enough water into the bowl. Probably a quart more would fix it but that doesn't happen.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water level in the bowl needs to be refilled between flushes.
Check to see if the tubing from the fill valve points into the overflow tube. This refills the bowl after a flush.
If the water starts off low in the bowl, then the first portion of the water fills the bowl before any siphon can start.

If the fill tube is in place, then we look at the flapper. Is there too much slack in the chain? There can only be a little slack, or the flapper doesn't rise enough.
They do make an adjustable flapper for the TOTO if you want to tweak the amount of water being dropped. Fluidmaster makes one.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Only after replacing the flapper did it not flush completely, meaning that the flapper closes prematurely and doesn't allow quite enough water into the bowl. Probably a quart more would fix it but that doesn't happen.

Okay, so you're the exception. We'll go to the Original Drake Advanced Course, then.

It's most likely going to be the chain length, particularly since the only thing you did was replace the flapper. I call what you are describing a "misfire". You push trip lever all the way and the flapper opens but closes without the brief hesitation that is the norm. Does that sound right? If that's it, then as Terry says check the chain length. You should have one or two links of chain, but no more, resting on top of the closed flapper when the trip lever is at rest. A little too tight and the short chain doesn't let the flapper pull open all the way (i.e. travel as far as it wants to) when you push the lever all the way, so can't float for a second before closing. A little too loose and it doesn't flip it quite far up enough. If you are basically at one extra link of chain at rest, then you want to try adding or subtracting a link of chain from what you have until you get the effect you want.

Try that and come back to us.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you're not using a Korky or Toto branded flapper, or if it is the wrong model, it could easily fail to stay open the appropriate time.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This gentleman seems experienced, so I assumed he was just using the Korky RED "Fits Toto" flapper, available at HD. But you're right, he might not be. Korky makes a number of others that would work (including 2 adjustable 3" ones), but that's the most-straightforward to use in a GMax toilet.

Composter

Reaction score
Okay Gentlemen! That was the fix! Who wudda thunk... Anyway, I appreciate your help, and yes it is the correct Korky RED.
Have a fine day.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
It's not working out too well with the family not remembering to hold it down in "certain situations" so it has been clogging with the half flush.

What toilet paper are you using? Change over to Scott Single Ply 1000 sheet toilet paper and use about 2 to 3 feet (distance between the dispenser and the floor?) at a time.

Depress the handle all the way down and let it go.

I suspect that you are using double ply and using a lot more than necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks