How to Locate sewer pipes in basement floor

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by TinaM, Oct 31, 2009.

1. TinaM

TinaM New Member

Hello all you plumbing Gods,
    In my mind I think I can install a bathroom in my 1938 house. I have basic plumbing system knowledge so sorry upfront. How do I find the sewer lines in my basement floor? Is there something I can rent? The basement is huge and there are 3 cast iron cleanouts One for the 2nd floor bathroom, one for the kitchen and one for the 1/2 bath on the main floor. I am trying to figure out the best place ie the least concrete removal.
    Thanks,
    Tina
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drains

NO ONE will rent you the equipment you need. It is too expensive to trust in the hands of an amateur who could destroy it in a matter of minutes. A plumber can insert a snake into the pipe and listen to its route as it moves along, or you can call a professional pipe locator, although not all will have a transducer which will penetrate cast iron pipes.
  3. TinaM

TinaM New Member

Thanks HJ,
    I'll call a plumber first!
    Tina
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipes

I would call a locator first. His equipment, if he has the right stuff, will trace the line perfectly. But it depends on how he charges for his service. Here, they charge a very reasonable flat rate for residential locates, which could be less than a plumber's charge, depending on how long it takes.