How to integrate Winterizing into Design

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I am designing a home with a basement, a single wet wall servicing 2.5 bathrooms and a kitchen all on city water and sewer. I would like to be able to winterize the home and remove all the water from the systems should the need arise (if I needed to be gone for extended periods for work). What are some strategies I can integrate into my design/layout that might make this easy and foolproof. I am hoping this is possible even though I am on city water.

Thanks,

jb9

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
simply install some boiler drain faucets at the far end of the basement... on both the hot and cold lines...
you can also put fall on the pipe system from one end of the house to the other end where you have installed the faucets...

all you would have to do it open the faucets and drain into 5 gallon buckest
and maybe blow out the lines from above if necessary

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think that the spot where the water comes into the basement would be tricky. Is the water meter inside? You would want to drain that or have the city remove it. Maybe building an insulating block of XPS foam could let that stay thawed with warmth from the ground.

I have read that PEX is more resistant to damage from freezing than other piping, so you could use that in addition to other draining. You can put RV antifreeze into toilets and drain traps. Maybe blow into drains with a vacuum cleaner or leaf blower to push water out of the trap before putting in the antifreeze.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks