How to install a wax ring on a toilet with a offset flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by james36526, Dec 17, 2004.

1. james36526

james36526 New Member

How do I install a wax ring on a toilet with a offset flange

My toilet has an offset flange that is oblong and with an opening larger than the size of a wax ring.The right side flange bolt is on an ear that is over the waste pipe.How do I seal the connection at the floor.The flange was used to move the toilet to the left away from the sink cabinet.Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wax ring

Yes, and the idea, rather the fact, is that you have a problem. Because of the way the flange was rotated, the wax ring on that side is not going to seal to the bowl next to its "throat" but rather outside the anchor bolt. For this reason, you have to use two wax rings and splice them together using a piece from the second one to make the first one larger. But that will only seal the bottom of the bowl to the flange, it will not seal the "opening" where the anchor bolt is and nothing will make it waterproof. The best you can do is to fill the bolt hole with some of the left over wax from the second ring to try to make it odor proof.
  3. hudson

hudson New Member

Toilet Offset Flange 2 Wax Rings

I had the same problem as above and tried the same solution as above. In the picture, you can see the result of my first try...the single seal didn't do the job so I plugged all the holes to the right with wax, put on a new wax ring. No leaks...no odors.

The toilet is a Toto Eco Drake....I flushed four paper towels OK.

I haven't caulked around the toilet yet...I guess in this case, that would be a good idea????

Am I done?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

caulking around the toilet base is a good idea, but not for the reason you are thinking. The caulk is to prevent water spilled on the floor from an accident or mopping from getting under the toilet. It will not seal the flange. The wax ring is all that will do that.
  5. hj

offset

The problem is those gaps above and below the right hand bolt. Unless that "extra" wax ring is TIGHT to the flange, and there is nothing to force it to be, then if water backs up it will flow through those gaps and out onto the floor, unless it is caulked in which case it will flow wherever there is an opening. As you can see, the flange opening extends beyond the right hand bolt, and since wax rings seal to the LEFT of that bolt, there is no real seal on that side, even if you open the wax ring to cover the entire rim of the flange.
  6. hudson

hudson New Member

My options then are probably...

1. Leave it as it is and hope for the best. The old toilet had been ok since a remodeling job 20 years ago. When I removed it, there was nothing there but wax, and the part on the right side was open. I probably should NOT caulk the toilet so that I can tell if it is leaking.

2. Tear out the existing offset and put in something else...replumb underneath?? There's a crawlspace underneath...4 feet of head space.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

An offset flange may have been selected because there's a joist where they wanted to install a regular one. YOu won't know how easy it would be to replace with a standard flange without looking.
  8. hudson

hudson New Member

hj: "then if water backs up it will flow through those gaps and out onto the floor"

So the most common problem for me will be if there is a clog in the pipe somewhere below the flange. The liquid will push through my wax dam at the weakest point.

If there's any pressure build up in the flange area, or any weakening of my wax dam, I'll have a leak.

I guess my plan will be to wait and see. In the next 5-10 years, I'll remodel that bathroom and be sure to get it right.
  9. hj

flange

IF you NEED an offset flange there, that is the only one which will work, and it might be difficult to find a new one once that "bracker" for the right hand bolt breaks off, (and 95% of them, even cast iron ones, do eventually snap). The "proper" offset flange needs more "depth" than you have there.