how to install a frameless glass shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

SurfsupinHawaii

Reaction score
Does anyone have any instructions on installing a frameless glass shower? I have checked them out and have a basic idea on how the install should go. Would like to hear from somone who has actually done it and has the experience to pass on the knowledge. Maybe a good website?. Thanks a ton.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Did the shower not come with instructions? The term "frameless" is used to describe a lot of different things, from bypass doors with top rollers and bottom glides, to pivot doors, etc. What have you got?

Moving a toilet from wall discharge to floor discharge is a lot of work, especially in a condo where you don't have access through the ceiling below. If it is ground floor on slab, just need a jackmammer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your shower is a Lasco or similar, after fitting it to the space and making sure the drain is right, set the unit in place on a bed of mortar. Level the stall and secure it to the studs with nails or screws (I prefer screws). The screws go through the flange at the top and down the edges. I like drywall screws because one false swing of a hammer can ruin you whole day. Drill pilot holes of course. The greenboard drywall will cover the screws. The only stalls I know of have excellent instructions with them. You could probably do a search and find the manufacturers web site and I'd bet there are instructions there, too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
enclosure

I never even try. I have the supplier of the enclosure install it. so that they have the liability if anything goes bad on it, or if it leaks. The amount saved by DIY'ing it is not worth it.

SurfsupinHawaii

Reaction score
Its a glass enclosure with two walls of glass.

I have not purchased the enclosure yet. It is the type that is frameless in the sense that it is a glass suround. Not sure yet if it is going to go from the floor to the ceiling or just have a cap on it. It would have two glass sides. just wondering about where the two glass ends would meet at the outside corner of the glass wall.It will have two back side walls of tile and then the two fronts are glass. I am sure they come with instructions, just wondering if anyone has done it. THanks

Sulconst2

Reaction score
first off you can't even touch this without two glass suction handles. $75 min. from graingers. walls need to be plumb or you have to order the glass out of square. you can order the corner beveled 45 degrees then use the pita non water based silicone caulk for the joint. the door would have to hang on the tiled wall with support behind for the hinges. doable but like hj said don't make a mistake. just leaning the glass on the floor it can EXPLODE!

Khayes

Reaction score
I'm with HJ on this one - let a pro do it. I am just finishing up a bath remodel and even though I am very handy and not afraid to tackle anything, that was one thing I paid someone else to do. We had a semi-frameless unit installed and it was money well spent. Good luck.

A

alhurley

nothing wrong with hiring pros for things like this, but you still might want to check out Wilson Glass . I haven't ordered anything yet for mine and may or may not order from them when it comes time. But I've called a couple of times for help and info and they've been very helpful. Learning is always good. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks