How To I Fix Chipped Threads On My Outdoor Frost Free Silcock

Users who are viewing this thread

evident

Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time lurker. i've been using this site for years for all of my home repair and DIY advice.

I have a prier / mansfield 500 series frost free silcock in my front yard with a leak coming from the vacuum breaker seal area. I thought that buying the replacement plastic parts would fix this issue, but upon further inspection there are chipped threads on the vacuum breaker seal at the top where the plastic replacement parts screw into.. I tried using some thread sealant tape and this helped a little bit but theres still a dribble coming out. Is there something else i can try? I searched this site for similar issues and some people say to either use putty or dope. i purchased "pro dope" at the home depot, i'm assuming its more robust than plumbers putty, right? would this solve my issue? The only other solution would be to replace the whole unit, which would be pretty challenging given the space that it's in.

I have to say that leaky outdoor faucets are extremely annoying as every house i've purchased has had this problem in one way or another!

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a prier / mansfield 500 series frost free silcock in my front yard with a leak coming from the vacuum breaker seal area. I thought that buying the replacement plastic parts would fix this issue, but upon further inspection there are chipped threads on the vacuum breaker seal at the top.
That cap is not supposed to seal. It is supposed to admit air if a vacuum develops. It is the parts under the cap that seal. I am not saying that what you see is not a problem, but I suspect that might be the case.

You might find https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/antisiphon-valve-headache-just-weld-it-shut.56960/ interesting.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Just looked at another brand of frost free. The nylon vacuum breaker part (the plastic part) is screwed into the body of the faucet and sealed with an "O" ring. Chipped threads should not be a factor if vacuum breaker screws in. It is sealed by the "O" ring. Don't see how you could have chipped threads in body of faucet. Granted you don't want to put your pliers on the upper threads of the vacuum breaker that the cap screws on to. Screw vacuum breaker in then put cap on the vacuum. Then use pliers to tighten cap and vacuum breaker until it seals. If it won't seal remove vacuum breaker ( plastic part) coat the threads that screw into the faucet with caulking and then screw it in. You have nothing to loose.

evident

Reaction score
Just looked at another brand of frost free. The nylon vacuum breaker part (the plastic part) is screwed into the body of the faucet and sealed with an "O" ring. Chipped threads should not be a factor if vacuum breaker screws in. It is sealed by the "O" ring. Don't see how you could have chipped threads in body of faucet. Granted you don't want to put your pliers on the upper threads of the vacuum breaker that the cap screws on to. Screw vacuum breaker in then put cap on the vacuum. Then use pliers to tighten cap and vacuum breaker until it seals. If it won't seal remove vacuum breaker ( plastic part) coat the threads that screw into the faucet with caulking and then screw it in. You have nothing to loose.

Thanks, i'll give it a shot. There's no O-ring in the model that I have. just the plastic/nylon breaker with float device which screws into the body of the faucet itself.

I really would prefer not to do what the linked thread said, to jb weld it shut. at that point i'll just get the unit replaced.

evident

Reaction score
happy to report that the "Pro Dope" stuff from home depot seemed to do the job. I applied it liberally on the thread and screwed the plastic vacuum breaker back on. I guess after 25 years the threads can get brittle and crack off. I can now happily wash my car without being annoyed about the constant drip that creates a huge puddle near the foundation of my house :)

evident

Reaction score
looks like i spoke too soon. Noticed it leaking again this morning. i tried cleaning and applying the pipe dope stuff again but noticed it leaking any time any significant water pressure is applied for a period of time.

I've had it with this thing, but access to replace it it may be a little bit tough. is there another solution i can try to stop this thing from leaking?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

evident

Reaction score
Did you replace the vacuum breaker seal with the 7500 kit described at 4:25 into this:
or did you put back your old seal?

Also, note that http://www.oatey.com/products/thread-sealants/pipe-thread-sealants/pro-dope is not for plastic pipe. I think you would want to find a thread sealant that is recommended for plastic. Perhaps http://www.rectorseal.com/rectorseal-t-plus-2/ would be good.

I did use the replacement vacuum breaker seal kit. I'll give the rector seal a shot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are a few frost-free silcocks that can drain even if you leave a hose connected to them. At least a few also make hot/cold which can make washing your car in the colder seasons much more pleasant, and even to rinse yourself or maybe your dog off! Woodford is one company that makes some reliable units, some with those features. Moen had one that was hot/cold, but I think they discontinued it - probably not that much demand. It's a nice feature, though, if you have access to the hot supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks