How to hide a cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

rossow_b

Reaction score
I'm kicking off a bathroom project in the basement. I have what I understand to be a cleanout next to the toilet rough in. (see photo http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GsZZ9eUiY6rPg1GjTsKk-w?authkey=w1J0ITMnkwM ) It is far enough away from interfering with the toilet but I'm not sure how to hide it. I'm planning on tiling the floor.

I've seen a round, stainless cover with a screw through the middle. I'm just not sure if that can be screwed into this without problems.

If anyone has a second to point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
First of all open it up and make sure if that's what it is. Then measure the size and get a clean out plug with cover to replace the "builders" plug. Go to an actual plumbing supply place, and you'll buy an assembly with the plug, screw and cover that are made to fit together. Use sealant on the threads (ask the counter guy for the right kind to use).

rossow_b

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds simple enough. I'm assuming that if I open it and it's disgusting down there it must be a cleanout.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
A cleanout should be a 90 bend which then wyes into the toilet flange. It's the high side of the drain and normally won't see any water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Co

That is a "TopKap" cleanout fitting, and the normal thing is to use a stainless steel plate and screw it into the recess in the center of the "cross hairs" on the plug. This assumes it is really a cleanout and not the vent connection for a future toilet, which its proximity to that capped opening might imply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks