How to get this shower head apart!?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Hey I have one of these Moen shower heads that has an adjustment knob on the side but no way that I can determine to get the thing into pieces (to clean it of course). Does anyone here know if or how this thing can be dis-assembled??? It just goes in and out and around and around and there are no "stops" or screws and I can't find the magic...

39411.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Haven't tried to take one apart, but if you just take the whole thing off and let it sit in some white vinegar for 24-hours, then work it back and forth, you'd probably dissolve any mineral deposits that have accumulated in it. Note too that some of those have an inlet filter screen, and that could be clogged up, and you'd see that when you take it off.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Ha, ha! I guess that's why plumbers are so expensive huh (just buy a new one)!

I did the "soak it" routine and have done that in the past; I should probably have some sort of vibrating tub/ultrasonic cleaner to do this really well.

I thought one of yins guys would know "the trick" to getting these apart--I hate it when mfrs get quite this clever about how these things go together e.g. I also struggled with a Delta "quick-connect" hose the other day, that was anything but!!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Ha, ha! I guess that's why plumbers are so expensive huh (just buy a new one)!

Did I say BUY A NEW ONE? NO! I said call them and have them send you a replacement. Plumbers are expensive, because we know HOW to save you money.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Did I say BUY A NEW ONE? NO! I said call them and have them send you a replacement. Plumbers are expensive, because we know HOW to save you money.

lol

I think MaxBlack thought I was kidding, when I said Free.

I should have said , "For no Extra charge"

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Actually, I DIDN'T get it... :eek: Ok I see y'all think they'd give me a new one--I should really try them on my $500 kitchen faucet that has problems after 12 years (lifetime warranty!).

I think I'm just gonna buy a different shower head since I never liked this one in the first place anyway. In the meantime I've found an excuse to spend more money--I decided I need a large Ultrasonic Cleaner for cleaning stuff like this and lotsa other things we have here on the ranch...

Thanks for your help fellas. BTW I am a Brain Surgeon.

:D

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you consider a water hardness test kit (Hach 5-B is well respected) and probably a water softener. That will stop your shower heads and more from liming up, and it will have other benefits.

If you have a softener already, get the test kit to check performance.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks for your help fellas. BTW I am a Brain Surgeon.

:D

lol.

Not sure they will replace the whole thing, but they will provide parts to fix it.

I was a bit disappointed on the last one I bought from them. Cheap ass plastic with Look like Stainless.

My wife bought it, said install this, and I did. She is happy , so am I , for now.

Good Luck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I should really try them on my $500 kitchen faucet that has problems after 12 years (lifetime warranty!).

I did, and they did, when the finish on the faucet started to chip off.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unscrew it from the pipe, take off the screen (if there is one) and washer and look inside to see if there's any screws. Rotate the lever in case they only show up in one direction. You sure that white Moen piece doesn't pop off? That's all I got except for try asking one of your nurses/residents.

Pete_M

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but since then has anybody taken apart a 3940 shower head to provide any tips on how it is done?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but since then has anybody taken apart a 3940 shower head to provide any tips on how it is done?
Might provide more context to what a 3940 shower head is.. manufacture would help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks