How to fix shower p-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

wmichsabre

Reaction score
So while I was putting the floor back over the top of the shower drain, I must have broken the bond between the vertical pipe and the p trap.

Is there an easy fix or do I have to tear it all out and rebuild?

photo.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rebuild for two reasons..one because it's leaking and the second because it's an S-trap. The vent MUST come off the trap arm before that turns down. IOW, the pipe coming out of the end of the p-trap must be straight with a vent coming off of it before the waste can turn down.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Jad is correct, what you have there is very much wrong. The trap must be vented by a vertical riser within the max distance specified by your code. The pitch of the trap arm cannot exceed 2% between the trap and it's vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT break the "bond between the riser and the P trap" unless it was a very poor joint in the first place, in which case it, and any others done the same way should be replaced. And, replaced with the proper slope and fittings.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Can you provide a photo of what the plumbing looks like a little further downstream??

Attachments

• bathroom%20drain%20plumbing%20cr.jpg
    bathroom%20drain%20plumbing%20cr.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 3,597
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks