How To Fix Poor Water Mixing in Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

abrogard

Reaction score
We just moved into a new place and find the shower water adjustment is very, very poor.

It is 'hair trigger' just the tiniest bit more cold water and suddenly it's totally cold. Just the tiniest big less and suddenly it is scalding hot.

Adjusting the hot water doesn't seem to make any difference. I can't open the cold and add hot until I find a good temperature.

So I wonder how we fix this. The 'works' are hidden inside the brick wall. All I can see is the two taps (faucets you call them in the States?) on the inside and outside the house copper piping, looks about half inch, going in, one to each tap, two identical runs of copper pipe.

Inside the house no sign of the 'mixing' mechanism at all. Two taps sticking out of the wall and a flexible metal pipe with the shower head on it sticking out. Everything hidden.

What is likely to be the cause of this, and the fix?

regards,

ab :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Poor mixing?

Not much that I know of.
New codes require a pressure balance valve for pressure fluctuations.
But that doesn't sound like the case.

If it were pressure, you could always change out the valve, and if that is not possible, they do make pressure balancing devices that can be installed on the two pipes leading the the valves.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this a 2 handel shower?

It could be the valve needs 2 new stems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks