How to fix leaking widespread faucet t-connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plan9

Reaction score
I just installed a Kohler "Fairfax" widespread faucet for my bathroom sink, and I'm getting slow leaks. At least one source of the leak is the brass t-connector that joins the hot and cold hoses. I'm not surprised, as I only hand tightened it. I was not able to tighten it with a wrench, because if I turn it any further, one of the hoses attached to it would then hit the backside of the sink.

Then I realized I have no idea how to solve this?:confused: Stumped again by the laws of physics! Anyone else had this problem, or have an idea of how to solve it?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
So let the hose "hit" the sink already. Those connections do not need to be made up extremely tight. If necessary, hold the metal ferrule behind the nut with pliers
(gently!) while tightening to keep the hose from turning.

Plan9

Reaction score
I guess I didn't make this clear enough. When I say its "hitting the sink", I mean I can not turn the brass t-connector any tighter, because one of the hoses connected to it is blocking it from turning, as the hose is blocked by the sink.

I was hoping it does not have to be extremely tight, and hand tight would do, but its leaking from there. There isn,t a separate metal ferrule involved, it's a one-piece affair. You might be thinking of a different faucet. The t-connector looks quite like this (though this is actually a tv antenna connector!):

c062_1_sbl_102_1.JPG

So let the hose "hit" the sink already. Those connections do not need to be made up extremely tight. If necessary, hold the metal ferrule behind the nut with pliers
(gently!) while tightening to keep the hose from turning.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There should be a gasket inside the connection, but it usually has to be made MORE than hand tight. Usually it can be tightened further so it does NOT hit the sink.

Plan9

Reaction score
There should be a gasket inside the connection, but it usually has to be made MORE than hand tight. Usually it can be tightened further so it does NOT hit the sink.

ok, so how would I go about tightening the t-connector further? like i say, the hose is hitting the sink.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought you meant a hose connection was leaking.... If the T-to-spout joint is leaking, undo the hose connections, and tighten the T, then reconnect the hoses. You might want to make sure the seal in the T didn't go missing somehow. These things almost never line up in the nicest way, you usually
have to make compromises.

Last edited:

Plan9

Reaction score
I thought you meant a hose connection was leaking.... If the T-to-spout joint is leaking, undo the hose connections, and tighten the T, then reconnect the hoses. You might want to make sure the seal in the T didn't go missing somehow. These things almost never line up in the nicest way, you usually
have to make compromises.

Well, I figured the only way to get the t-connector to align to where I can fit the hoses is to change the washer to something thicker or thinner. Then hope that when properly tightened, I will be able to get the connector at a workable angle. The original seal (rubber washer) was there, but not in great shape. The edges stuck to the connector when I tried to remove it. So I used a silicone washer (to which I cut a larger hole out), and now I am able to tighten the connector and have it align just enough to get the hose to clear the sink. But, now my faucet makes a whistling sound when the water is turned on. Guess I can't have it all! :rolleyes:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that T is using a rubber washer to seal, and it does not have a swivel nut (or equivalent) to tighten it to the spout shank, then that is just plain terrible design. It boggles my mind
how much people are conned into spending on badly designed products made with shoddy materials. Humphh! I don't think anyone yet has figured out a way to Have It All.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks