How to fix an uneven lawn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Breakpoint

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently had my house repipe and a new an irrigation system was done. I start finding the lawn becomes uneven because workers digged up trenches for the pipes. Do you think I can just simply put dirt over those spots and wouldn't hurt or suffocate the grass (St. Augustine), or I should dig up the grass and put dirt underneath them? My concern is that after watering, the dirt and soil would sink again and by digging up the grass again I am afraid of killing them. Please advise.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would use sand, and the grass will grow thru it.

And use a wheelbarrow , and not drive on it with heavy equipment or a load of sand in a truck, so the piping does not get damaged.

Have a Great day.

DonL

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you use material that is different than the adjacent existing material, you will see a difference in the growth with varying moisture conditions. Best IMHO to match the existing material as close as possible.

If there is a significant amound of subsidence, you would be best off to pull back the sod and fill beneath it, then roll out the sod over the fill and water it well.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The original installer should have used sand when installing the pipe, if it was needed.

Most likely the St. Augustine that you have is already growing in mostly sand, In your location.

A good top soil may be best, But sand will work into your soil as good as anything, without disturbing the grass further.

LLigetfa is correct about; "If there is a significant amound of subsidence, you would be best off to pull back the sod and fill beneath it, then roll out the sod over the fill and water it well."

But St. Augustine will never grow the same if the soil is disturbed, It takes time for it to recover.

DonL

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A good contractor would have put back on the top, the same material he took out, and left it a little proud to allow for settling.

Years ago, I trenched in a wire across my front yard which is all heavy clay soil. It was just a narrow slit about an inch wide which was impossible to fill with the same gummy clay so as the clay dried out, it would crack open along the line, like a wound that would never heal. I managed to pulverize some dry clay and eventually filled it in to the point it no longer cracks open but to this day, I can still see by the difference in growth, exactly where that line is.

There are several other places in my yard where I used different material for fill and in times of drought, they stand out like a sore thumb. I have to fertilize and water some areas differently to try to keep them looking even.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks