How to finish the nailing flange on shower insert?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bosun

Reaction score
If you have ever installed a fiberglass shower unit, you know that the nailing flange is a little too thick to easily hang sheetrock over it. I know that shimming the rock is the easy way to a finished wall. Has anyone tried tiling the flange? I am planning on tiling the floor. I'd be interested in advice and photos.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
If you're tiling... yeah, lots of guys do it that way: butt the backerboard to the flange, and mud (thinset) the resulting gap.

It won't work if you're using small tiles, though; you need for most of the tile to be on the backerboard, only a bit overhanging the flange. I wouldn't do it if your tiles are less than 4".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
notch the studs or shim them out so the cbu can go over is another alternative.

Bosun

Reaction score
More specific

I'm only thinking of a tile trim around the shower. This would cover the flange plus some rock. I'm not using CBU, as the trim is not expected to really need it, and tile goes on to rock just fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, if you notch the studs so the thing is in plane with the normal full stud, drywall, cbu, whatever doesn't really matter - it will be flush.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Notching the studs will only work for the places where you can distort the enclosure walls to flex them into the notch. At the base, corners, and rear it will not flex so the flange will still be outside the studs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks