how to fine tune 30/50 pressure switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You not only need a plumber, you need a priest! It sounds like you have a poltergeist.

First off, how can you be sure your tire gauge is reading the same as the water pressure gauge? As for the gauge reading moving versus when the pump comes on, you need to monitor the switch contacts. I just can't fathom the pressure jumping up to 40 *before* the pump comes on.

Turn off the supply to the house so that nothing else is drawing down your storage. Slowly draw down the storage with the drain cock. Watch the pressure gauge and the contacts on the switch. Take spot readings on the air pressure too and compare them with the gauge. No way should the pressure gauge be jumping around like you say.

Billfig

Reaction score
spot readings from the air valve on top of tank?

Heres the underside, kinda blurry but looks like a leak where I used "new" but not thick joint compound. dam thing, I'll order the 13" Tee and maybe use teflon tape...what do guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_5705underside .jpg
    IMG_5705underside .jpg
    24 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

Billfig

Reaction score
not sure this is a way to tell anything but I just randomly checked psi reading at schrader/diaphram which was 35.5psi, glanced down at gauge which read 45psi?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The only time the air pressure should read differently is when the water pressure is lower than the air pressure. The water pressure should never be higher than the air pressure. One or the other gauge is lying to you, or the bladder is max'ed out.

Billfig

Reaction score
I don't know? I just checked again, system gauge (9.00 Campbell) reads 50psi, I checked schrader with a digital model I got last night from auto parts store(feels well made) and a new gauge with schrader and both read 40psi. I'd have to buy another system gauge to verify if gauge is inaccurate..geez It's always something!lol...

LibertyDiY

Reaction score
5 years too late but, sounds like the water pressure gauge was off. That can really throw you for a loop. I had one that always read 20 psi too high and that can cause this kind of confusion, where you set the tank air pressure too high and the switch cut in/off too low.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks