how to fine tune 30/50 pressure switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Billfig

Reaction score
Square D with lever, has 2 posts for adjustment, the center proudest stud for Range"turn nut down for higher cut-in, or up for lower cut-in. I thought this one is for raising overall pressure??

lower stud off to side is Differential "turn nut down for higher cut-out pressure or up(loosen) for lower cut-out-so this one is used for overall higher pressure?

I can't seem to get the pump to come on later-say when she goes down to 30psi? I turned pump off and drained, when gauge hits BAM! switch clicks and gauge drops to 0.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
Square D with lever, has 2 posts for adjustment, the center proudest stud for Range"turn nut down for higher cut-in, or up for lower cut-in. I thought this one is for raising overall pressure??

lower stud off to side is Differential "turn nut down for higher cut-out pressure or up(loosen) for lower cut-out-so this one is used for overall higher pressure?

I can't seem to get the pump to come on later-say when she goes down to 30psi? I turned pump off and drained, when gauge hits BAM! switch clicks and gauge drops to 0.

How much air pressure is in the tank?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The big spring (proudest) if tightened, will increase both the kick-in and the kick-out. The small spring if tightened, will increase only the kick-out.

Billfig

Reaction score
well I currently have it at 34-35 kick-in and 52 kick-out using trial/error since logic doesn't seem to work? sure would like to get the spread further apart...wish it were that easy!
I would love to see it in operation at say 30-55...

Billfig

Reaction score
well I adj.the tank psi to 28 per a 30/50 sw. and would like to at least try the 30 cut-in....then an extra 5 for the heck of it.
I just can't seem to ever get that cut-in below 34?

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
well I adj.the tank psi to 28 per a 30/50 sw. and would like to at least try the 30 cut-in....then an extra 5 for the heck of it.
I just can't seem to ever get that cut-in below 34?

I'm sure of your overall strategy here but here goes:

Loosen the nut on the tall spring a few turns, that will lower the cut-in
Tighten the nut on the short one to raise the cut-out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Then loosen on the big screw to lower the cut in pressure. (one round = 3 PSI) Most people want an extra 5 or 10 pounds "for the heck of it" to try and get a little extra run time. All you are doing is overstretching the bladder and shortening the tanks life. When I go to a pump system where someone has widened the bandwidth, I know they are trying to reduce the cycling. :)

Billfig

Reaction score
I'm sure of your overall strategy here but here goes:

Loosen the nut on the tall spring a few turns, that will lower the cut-in
Tighten the nut on the short one to raise the cut-out.
Yea I kinda tried it with my valve closed to house and switch off but on recheck, I had a time getting pump to start?
I'll go try it again with pump on, it's almost like I could take the nut right off of the range/main stud, once the gauge drops to 34 it clicks and water drain just immediately stops too

Then loosen on the big screw to lower the cut in pressure. (one round = 3 PSI) Most people want an extra 5 or 10 pounds "for the heck of it" to try and get a little extra run time. All you are doing is overstretching the bladder and shortening the tanks life. When I go to a pump system where someone has widened the bandwidth, I know they are trying to reduce the cycling. :)

So the 20psi differential rule is a "Golden Rule" to strictly adhere too.....

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You can keep the 20 PSI spread and increase the cycle time a little by increasing the pressure. GPM from the pump generally diminishes with pressure so at 20-40, the GPM will be more than at 60-80. The GPM through the fixtures however increase with pressure, so your showerhead will put out more GPM at 60-80 than at 20-40. The two combined will result in the pump cycling less during a shower.

Billfig

Reaction score
I loosened large/range adjuster 3 twists of ratchet(a tad over 1 full turn) no change. I then loosened it another 3 twists, no change?
I noticed when draining gauge gets to 35 and 3 things happen, gauge drops to 0, cut-in clicks and drain is empty(and closed by me at that point) then gauge slowly begins ascending then at 20 it jumps to 40 and pumping begins? Goes to 51psi and stops

Billfig

Reaction score
You can keep the 20 PSI spread and increase the cycle time a little by increasing the pressure. GPM from the pump generally diminishes with pressure so at 20-40, the GPM will be more than at 60-80. The GPM through the fixtures however increase with pressure, so your showerhead will put out more GPM at 60-80 than at 20-40. The two combined will result in the pump cycling less during a shower.

wow thats pretty interesting! But running a 40-60 must be more taxing on the submersible pump? Why all the different pressures?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the pressure drops really fast from 35 to 0, it probably means that the precharge on the tank is too high and that at 35, there is no more water in the tank.

As for how the pump surges from 20 to 40, again if the bladder precharge is too high, there is nowhere for the pressure to go until it exceeds the precharge. Also, the pump uses pressure to make pressure so you will notice a performance curve.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why all the different pressures?
I don't understand the question. The higher the pressure the less the 20 PSI differential is felt. Taking a shower between 20-40 is medeocre at best. Taking a shower at 60-80 is wowzers. Somewhere in between is where one settles depending on personal preference versus pump capacity.

Billfig

Reaction score
If the pressure drops really fast from 35 to 0, it probably means that the precharge on the tank is too high and that at 35, there is no more water in the tank.

As for how the pump surges from 20 to 40, again if the bladder precharge is too high, there is nowhere for the pressure to go until it exceeds the precharge. Also, the pump uses pressure to make pressure so you will notice a performance curve.
1st the air in tank is set to 28, I bought 2 new gauges to check and 1 was digital so that should be ok and it drops instantly..just like that. The pump doesn't surge 20 to 40, the gauge jumps from 20 to 40 which then causes the pump to turn on and the tank fills...unless I got some freak thing going on like weird???

I don't understand the question. The higher the pressure the less the 20 PSI differential is felt. Taking a shower between 20-40 is medeocre at best. Taking a shower at 60-80 is wowzers. Somewhere in between is where one settles depending on personal preference versus pump capacity.
so I guess all these different psi's are more for the actual pump/setup.

Billfig

Reaction score
Everything is new just yesterday but I wonder if 1 or even 2 things could be defective? It seems to me when draining tank, pressure would drop at a given speed all the way down to 0 or 5 or even maybe 10 psi till she's out?
Ya know the other thing is "I think" not sure yet, I may have a very small leak at the tank tee/elbow underneath..can't really see under there(I left the extra hole on base to the rear-against wall!) or if a leak is present, I might have tweaked the elbow or something when tightening the Tee, though I did hold the elbow while reefing down to make the final pass line up. If it is leaking, I'd try to return it and get the correct tee(13") this time since they sold me the 10"Tee--which I suppose..don't know for sure, may be a contributing factor to my cut-in/gauge problem?

ps just want to say Thanks to everyone for their time & knowledge in trying to help me diagnose this mess too! Thanks!

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably won't take this advice but the best thing you could do was to leave the switch alone. You start messing with them and they never seem to be where you want them to be.

Billfig

Reaction score
I hear ya..problem was when I 1st started...cutoff was 68psi! I couldnt believe my eyes! so the switch needed major adjustment right out of the box.... I'm still perplexed with the physical pressure on the gauge going from 35 straight off to 0 then creeping back to 20 then immediately jumping up to 40 when in fact the drain has emptied at petcock and the pump is off? This may be the real issue and the wacky switch/adj. is a consequence of that?

Billfig

Reaction score
I just tried this, opened drain and left open, psi/gauge went down to 35 then drain stopped and at same time gauge dropped to 10psi where it just sat, pump didnt come on...so then...I simply closed drain petcock and surprisingly watched gauge creep from 10 to 20 then jump to 40 and pump came on??? I think maybe the drain cock under the switch nipple may be affecting things? I'll now just try opening a sink valve to drain but I bet it works better..?
Worked good draining from a faucet as normally would. Gauge down to 34-35 then a quick dribble to 30 I'd say and pump kicked in to 56psi so for me that's a good range! Now as long as everything stays that way...I'll monitor it..and figure out if it's weeping underneath? Those big elbows at the tank are tight new right? Mine seemed to be..I never looked to see if anything was stuffed inside there..didn't notice anything?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks