How to emptying water from drain pan under washing machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

h_loyali

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have a Portable washing machine in apartment and for safety I purchased a washing machine drain pan( same as one in pic below) and placed it under washing machine . Since couple months ago my washing machine drain hose from inside disconnected( I don't know why , maybe because of the loss of adhesive) and huge capacity of water came out , I decided to prevent it.So I placed the drain pan under washing machine , now looking for some ways or something inexpensive to connect to drain pan to remove water immediately after leaking before overflowing from pan, what is your suggestion?

Note: I bought a Hydrofarm AAPW160 160-GPH Active Aqua Submersible Pump but it didn't remove water quickly , only 160 Gallon per hour .

Thanks,

51hAYZPb2HL._SL1454_.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You could get an expensive alarm to let you know if there is water in the pan, so that you could run over and shut off the water. Not complete solution, but it is easy.

h_loyali

Reaction score
Thanks for reply , First of all to clarify, I fixed the leaking with adhesive and clamp , I'm planing for future if same thing happened.sort of Crisis management.

You could get an expensive alarm to let you know if there is water in the pan, so that you could run over and shut off the water. Not complete solution, but it is easy.

It doesn't work for me. Last time when hose disconnected , 40 liter/11 gallons water was in tube and all came out of tube.

That is what should be done, Or the bottom of the machine will Rust out.

It doesn't happen every day or every laundry it happens 1 in 100!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your original post said the "adhesive broke loose" that held the drain hose. The problem you have is that drain hoses are not held by adhesive, they are clamped. If you had no clamp, then you had a disaster waiting to happen. You say it's clamped now, so you should never have a problem unless the hose breaks which is not common.

h_loyali

Reaction score
Here is photos.Hose looks good and sturdy but I'm worried !

wet/dry vac is not a bad idea since my washing machine's capacity is 1.5 Cube feet , a 6 gallon wet/dry vac can clean water immediately in 2 sec, Isn't it?

Attachments

• 20151011_231221.jpg
    20151011_231221.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 20151011_231225.jpg
    20151011_231225.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 20151011_231236 1.jpg
    20151011_231236 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 20151011_231236.jpg
    20151011_231236.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 445

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Here is photos.Hose looks good and sturdy but I'm worried !

Those lines really should not have much pressure, Unless the drain is plugged up.

You could replace those spring wire clamps with stainless band clamps, They are much better.

upload_2015-10-12_7-33-45.jpeg

Good Luck.

h_loyali

Reaction score
Those lines really should not have much pressure, Unless the drain is plugged up.

You could replace those spring wire clamps with stainless band clamps, They are much better.

View attachment 31304

Good Luck.

Thanks, I will try to change it though it is hard because hand can not go through this.

How about wet/dry vac ? could be useful when hose break and it suck up all water quickly?

DonL

Reaction score
You have nice closeup pictures of "something", but a larger picture would show us what it is.

I think that is a water pump in a tinker toy washing machine.

If it is over loaded, It will overflow. That is normal.

Just a guess. Hard to tell from here.

h_loyali

Reaction score
Guys , please answer this question : Is there someone here that have experience with wet/dry vac that use for water? if yes how long takes to suck up 6 gallon water?

DonL

Reaction score
Guys , please answer this question : Is there someone here that have experience with wet/dry vac that use for water? if yes how long takes to suck up 6 gallon water?

It depends how big it is, What model is it ? How big is the motor, What size hose ?

They normally have a Wet filter, That is not the same as a dry paper filter.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally those pans drain outside.
I don't know of a pump that will pull water up and not leave some in the pan. You want that pan to be completly dry after pumping?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have used a wet dry vac to pick up water from a floor many times. I note that if there is any sudsing, that vac will not nearly come up to capacity. The suds will come up and in my case caused the ball that stops water to shut off the flow. That is better than blowing suds through the sucking mechanism I think. 6 gallons of water is fairly heavy.

(Skip this rant paragraph for practical purposes: ) I don't even know if a "6 gallon" wet vac would hold 6 gallons. I know that when they rate them in horsepower they use a method that I consider a lie. I don't know if there is a similar lie in capacity. I expect that the lie would be much less than the HP lie. Now they usually rate in amps. They use the starting amps That is not a lie, but it encourages them to use less efficient motors rather than ones that could give more power with fewer amps.

But a wet-dry vac is great to have. Drop a food item on the carpet? Suck it up. Pour warm water and stir with your fingers a bit. Suck it up. Repeat. Stain on the car carpet or cloth upholstery? Apply water with low-sudsing detergent. Suck it up. Repeat. For keeping up with an overflowing pan, I am not sure. It would help, and for sure it would help with the cleanup minimizing how much water soaks through to your neighbor below.

Last edited:

h_loyali

Reaction score
It depends how big it is, What model is it ? How big is the motor, What size hose ?

They normally have a Wet filter, That is not the same as a dry paper filter.
For example this one:

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-45l-wet-dry-vacuum/609-000017871-113-3-296150C
or
https://www.lowes.ca/shop-vacuums/shop-vac-10-gal-4-peak-hp-wetdry-vacuum_g1840295.html

I would appreciated if you give me some info to help me how to choose best one?
In first place : does it help me to prevent overflowing when I see the water and suck up all water?

Normally those pans drain outside.
I don't know of a pump that will pull water up and not leave some in the pan. You want that pan to be completely dry after pumping?

Some water in pan is OK .I'm trying to prevent water from overflowing . I did look to pumps but those are expensive because I need a pump that pull 5-6 gallon water up in 2-3 sec ( when hose broke , all water 6-11 gallon come out)

h_loyali

Reaction score
But a wet-dry vac is great to have. Drop a food item on the carpet? Suck it up. Pour warm water and stir with your fingers a bit. Suck it up. Repeat. Stain on the car carpet or cloth upholstery? Apply water with low-sudsing detergent. Suck it up. Repeat. For keeping up with an overflowing pan, I am not sure. It would help, and for sure it would help with the cleanup minimizing how much water soaks through to your neighbor below.

But here important factor is speed! An 8 gallons Vac with 3 or 4 HP Can pull up water in how many seconds? 2-3?

DonL

Reaction score
For example this one:

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-45l-wet-dry-vacuum/609-000017871-113-3-296150C
or
https://www.lowes.ca/shop-vacuums/shop-vac-10-gal-4-peak-hp-wetdry-vacuum_g1840295.html

I would appreciated if you give me some info to help me how to choose best one?
In first place : does it help me to prevent overflowing when I see the water and suck up all water?

Some water in pan is OK .I'm trying to prevent water from overflowing . I did look to pumps but those are expensive because I need a pump that pull 5-6 gallon water up in 2-3 sec ( when hose broke , all water 6-11 gallon come out)

I know for a fact that these do Suck, in a good way. I have one. It works very good.

It will get heavy very quick, Keep that in mind.

You you can hook a drain hose to the tank to drain it. Turn it off first ! Read the manual before use.

For sucking up water the way you want, A smaller hose would work a bit better, Because the big hose will suck more air than water when the hose can not stay full of water, and the hose will weigh a bunch when full. But the big hose will work ok.

Like Terry was saying those pans are made to drain outside.

It should suck 6 Gallons in less than 60 seconds. If you have the voltage and power to feed it. No extension cord should be used.

Do you live upstairs by chance ? No real Landry room ? Running for president ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks